1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2006 World Series Of Poker Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, blind bravado will only take you so far at a poker table. I'm still not very good at calculating pot odds, which gets me in trouble some times.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll make the argument that too much poker is on TV, I'm finally turning the channel sometimes. Never used to do that. Still love the actual game though.

The one poker show I'll set my DVR for is "High Stakes Poker" on GSN. The cash game is much more realistic than the all-in fests that are most other televised poker shows including the WSOP (not that I can relate to a home game with $100k pots, but I digress...).

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The fact that we have a running WSOP thread speaks volumes about how far this event has come in just a few years.

And it's probably only going to get bigger. It's the one place where the average joe or jane can participate in the equivalent of the Super Bowl.

4. Does anyone know how SportsJournalists.com's favorite columnist, Bill Simmons, is doing in the tournament?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've not seen his name anywhere on any of the BLOGS! covering the ME.

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

one of the ESPN chats said Simmons was busted out on his first day. I think it was 1C. No details.

8. peixeiro

peixeiro Guest

Latest busts:

Juanda and Greenstein are out.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

LOL, that's like my old argument with my parents that Nintendo was good because it helped my reflexes.

I'm all about poker, but I don't think it makes me too much smarter in the other aspects of my life and I doubt it's turned any future ditch diggers into NASA engineers.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Then pilot, you're welcome to play at my table any time.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you don't have to be smart to play good poker. You do, no doubt. I'm also not saying you don't use math. Math really helps.

But saying the poker craze is good because it makes high school dropouts into math majors is a little far fetched, I think.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the poker craze. Like I said, I'm all about it, but I don't really think it's a real plus for society either.

I know everyone here wins every single time they play (unless there's a bad beat, of course) but there's also a hell of a lot of people that lose a ton of money online. Would they lose it another way if online poker didn't exist? I'm sure. I mean, if you flush away your life savings or your college loan check at Party Poker, you probably aren't headed to great places in the first place.

I just think saying that poker is helping America is a little crazy.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I know guys who couldn't pass HS math calsses but they can give me the probabilty on a hand against various scenarios and tell me when to call when $XX is in the pot.

At the very least, it ain't contributing to dumbing those guys down.

And there's really no such thing as a bad beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted