1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2006 World Series Of Poker Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why, exactly, did you feel the need to post that?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It seems lately that every thread has the proverbial "turd in the punch bowl."

This thread's turd is EStreetJoe.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Just to voice my disgust as to how much attention it gets on TV and in the media.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Obviously, this thread is geared toward people who enjoy playing and watching poker. Not to say you can't offer a dissenting opinion (I'm the last person to play that card), but your line of reasoning isn't gonna get you too far here. And I can understand not liking poker on TV, but "disgust" seems a little over the top. Is it really that bad?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Lots of things shouldn't be on TV. No question about that.

But poker makes surprisingly compelling TV.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I just don't get the mindset of doing it.

I'd never think of wading into a 12-page thread about the greatness of Springsteen to post a slam at him. I don't care for the NBA and am disgusted by how much attention it gets on TV and the media, but I don't post "NBA sucks" every time there's an NBA thread. It just seems pointless.

Unless, of course, you're trolling.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

But hey, there's nothing better than the "sport, not a sport" debate. Please, give me more of that. BTW, I do not think anybody here has advocated for poker as sport.

Poker is like Sodoku ... I don't do Sodoku, but I also don't walk around the nation's airports telling the many people who do that I don't get why they do it. It's kind of like, "look at me ... I don't like what you like!"

I enjoy poker for the strategy and the relationships you build with the guys you play against. It lends itself wonderfully to great conversation and also serves as a tremendous outlet for escapism. That is all.

8. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

The same reason people feel obligated to post on the WC thread how boring they find soccer and how it will never catch on in the US.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Poker, if anything, has stemmed the tide of the dumbing down of America.

Go find a group of HS kids, half of whom can't get better than a C in Algebra II, breaking down pot odds at a poker table.

Say you don't like it, but smarter people do better at it, and it takes studying to be any good at it. This cannot be argued.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Good point. Very few dumb guys at poker tables of any consequence. Moneymaker comes off like a dolt and he's, by all accounts, a really intelligent guy. Then there are guys like Ferguson and Cunningham who are essentially math geniuses.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Barry Greenstein, too.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Stu Ungar, Huck Seed, etc. Math whizzes abound at the top level of the game and have for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted