1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2006 World Series Of Poker Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Jul 26, 2006.

1. As someone who has read hundreds of poker growth stories since 2003, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for not writing "the aptly named Chris Moneymaker" or "Chris Moneymaker (his real name)."

Does anyone know how Jeff Madsen's doing in the Main Event?

2. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Thanks, Central.

Madsen played either Friday or Saturday. He has around 35K in chips, I believe.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Madsen indeed is at $34,550 in chips. When I talked to him Thursday during his stud game, he was wearing street clothes. In the main event, he had on Full Tilt stuff. I see they snapped him up quickly (and smartly). He's a sharp kid that has just enough breadth of poker knowledge and confidence to do well in the profession.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

CI, that 'shop job of Murphy at WSOP is the best yet.

And I'm now of the mindset most of the pros aren't playing the ME to win it. They're playing in it to rub shoulders with the donks and 'Net players to grow the game. They're treating it as an All-Star Game, where it'd be nice to win but it's mainly about doing PR work.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

CI, is that Hellmuth's body?

6. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Phil Hell-mutt!

If you qualify for the WSOP online, wouldn't you choose the option not to wear the qualifying site's gear? If you somehow made it to final table you'd be a free agent and, I would think, could clean up as a pawn to the highest bidder.

7. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Sorry to do two posts in a row.

Has anyone heard how our estimable Sports Guy's doing in the Main Event?

8. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

That's true but on most of them they'll play hotel, etc. On PokerStars they paid hotel plus $1,000 spending money for flights and meals. Without it you are on your own for that stuff.

9. CentralIllinoisan

If you play in any event that will have a televised final table, you can sign a contract (usually four figures) to wear an online card room's gear -- dependent on you making the final table. (Assuming, of course, you aren't obligated already to do so as an Internet qualifier).

If you are a free agent before the event, don't sign until you've made the final table. A Washington Post story from last year, I believe, reported one guy went from room to room and auctioned himself; he got $30,000.

10. clarkington

clarkington Member

Hey CI, I was in Peoria and saw the Sunday column. Loved the ending.
    I thought I might have figured out who you were after I read it.
    But just wanted to tell you I enjoyed it.
    And are they paying you to be out there? I was thinking about asking my SE to go out there next year. Just curious what they're giving you.

11. CentralIllinoisan

I was not paid for the trip's expenses, but was paid as if I were working.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm not going to go through 12 pages to see how big a minority I'm in (and I bet it's a very tiny minority) but the World Series of Poker is nothing.

Poker isn't a sport. I blame ESPN for making this the big deal it's become for airing it in the first place.

Poker is just a bunch of guys sitting around playing cards and in the case of the World Series, guys sitting around playing cards for obscene amounts of money. It shouldn't be in the newspapers - especially the sports pages - and it shouldn't be on TV either.

Like "reality TV" , televising poker games is just another example of the dumbing down of America.

Draft saved Draft deleted