1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2006 World Series Of Poker Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Jul 26, 2006.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

One of the reasons for this, IMO, is that straight draws and flush draws seem to hit more often online than in real games. Am I crazy, or do you guys notice the same thing?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Playing online today, I was just thinking it was weird I kept losing to flushes and straights on the river. To guys who had no business still being in the hand with only a draw.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

You're correct, but probably only because you play roughly twice as many hands.

BTW, if Matusow value bets his set, the donk might go along, the diamond doesn't hit on the turn, Mouth bets again and the guy might not be in such a hurry to stick around when it's one-card and done.  Then again, here I am second-guessing Matusow, who -- to quote SNL's Sinatra -- has chunks of guys like me in his stool.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

If you have a set against four to the flush, aren't you still like a 70-30 favorite? Why would Matusow or anybody else lay that down if that's the correct read? The potholes like this you have to dodge have gone up exponentially, but you're not long for any poker game if you lay that down.

5. Lester Bangs

Agreed, but that's a dangerous board and I would rather wait to make a stand when there's less chance of my trips getting cracked.

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I agree with Lester that you play twice as many hands, but there are also twice as many donks hanging around with their draws so you get to the river more often against them. It's not as easy to push them out.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

It's even worse than that. I was playing at the final table of a $15 sit-and-go, I'm short-stacked but pick up aces. I raise, guy calls. The flop comes out, I get all my money in, guy calls me with QJ. Mind you, he had absolutely no flush or straight draws and the flop missed him completely. Turn: Q. River: J. Me: Busted.

After that, my days of playing cheap buy-in tournaments like that were over.

8. Lester Bangs

I go back and forth on this. It's a cheap buy-in, so why wouldn't they play like fucking dolts? But I always try to play smart, no matter the situation ... so I find myself getting indignant a lot. Ultimately, getting mad at some of these tools is like me getting pissed at my 2-year-old. Does nothing but raise my (already elevated) blood pressure.

Happens a lot playing in Vegas, too. Your local card rooms are usually populated by guys who actually know the game. Vegas, it's tourists who sit there and just call down everything, which is fucking great until they catch something ... and then you find yourself wanting to come over the table.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Yeah, that's a good point. When I want to play, I go to my local card room and buy into a tournament for $60 or $80. There are some donkeys, but most of them are pretty good players.....well, except for this one guy who I raised all-in holding pocket jacks. He calls with pocket 8's ... and hits his 8 on the flop. Fortunately, I was able to recoup the money two hands later when I hit two pair on the flop and got a guy to double me up when I went all-in on the river.

10. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

now this is a sick beat

--

Thorsson Eliminates Another
    William Thorsson raises to $700 from the cut off and the button re-raises to $1,200. The small blind makes a third raises to $3,500. Thorsson re-raises $7,000 more and the small blind calls. The flop comes A22 and the small blind checks and Thorsson moves all-in for $100,000. The small blind makes the call after 2 minutes of deliberation and shows K-K. Thorsson taps the table and says "Wow," and sheepishly shows his 75. The turn is a 3 and the river a 4 giving Thorsson the wheel. Thorsson now sits with $125,000.

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

That is tough, but...Thorsson basically did everything right as far as a bluff.  He raised and re-raised, and then the Ace comes out on the flop and he pushes in all his chips.  If I'm sitting there holding KK I give up the hand.  Did this guy call because he didn't think Thorsson had an ace?  Doubtful.  More likely, he's some donkey who couldn't conceive of getting away from his pocket kings regardless of what came out on the flop.

Update: Phil Laak, Mark Seif and Steve Dannenmann are out.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Update: Erick Lindgren, Erik Seidel and Sean Sheikhan all out today.

Chip Reese, Cyndy Violette and Robert Williamson are close to elimination.

Man, that's a bunch of heavy hitters that haven't made it past Day 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted