1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2006-07 NFL Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 31, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which has what to do with football?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Although in football, it seems to hold more true that teams that enter the playoffs hot stay hot (think Steelers last year) and teams that enter the playoffs cold stay cold (think Colts last year).

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Exactly. In the NFL, it's all about peaking at the right time.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

It has to do with "experts" making ridiculous proclamations like "This conference has no chance." I remember when the Rams were gonna hang 60 points on the overmatched Patriots five seasons ago. The NFC is a decided underdog at this point, but you never know.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Chargers over Bears

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That was my thinking here BYH. In baseball, momentum can get killed by a great pitching start. When an offense or defense (or both) are clicking going into the NFL postseason, unexpected runs can occur. I like the way the Eagles are going right now, and the Ravens.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10 years later I still miss my L.A. Rams. The NFL just ain't the same without 'em.

I keep watching, not sans passion, but because it's still football, right.

So ...

Kansas City Chiefs at Indianapolis Colts ----- Colts 42, Chiefs 14
    N.Y. Jets at New England Patriots ------ Patriots 31, Jets 7

NFC wild-card matchups
    Dallas Cowboys at Seattle Seahawks ------ I still love Romo: Pokes 19, Seahawks 17
    New York Giants at Philadelphia Eagles ------ tough game. Eagles 10, Giants 7, OT

8. outofplace

I wouldn't say the entire conference has no chance, but the AFC has beaten up on the NFC for a reason, and it is a much larger percentage of the games than interleague play in baseball.

Of course the NFC has a shot. An underdog can always step up and have a big day in the Super Bowl. But the best four teams in the NFL are the top four teams in the AFC. No way an NFC team could make it through the AFC playoffs, but since one of them gets to play through inferior competition to get to the Super Bowl, they will have a chance.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The Nfc is down, but that doesn't mean the AFC is up. They just don't make great teams lke they used to.

10. outofplace

Oh shit...here we go again....

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I've decided, as a matter of principle, that if Baltimore makes the Super Bowl I will not watch. Unless they're playing the Bears, in which case that will end up as one of the five best or worst days of my life in the last five years. Nowhere in between.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

AFC pix:
    Kansas City 31, Indianapolis 28 (looserboy pick)
    New England 24, NY Jets 14 (Herm blamed for this one)

San Diego 27, Kansas City 17 (Herm blamed for this one)
    Baltimore 17, New England 10

San Diego 12, Baltimore 9 (Marty finally gets there)

NFC pix
    Seattle 34, Dallas 20 (Romo overwhelmed and Alexander goes off)
    Eagles 23, Giants 7 (Garcia keeps the tide rolling)

Seahawks 24, Bears 14 (a defensive and STs TD for Bears, who never cross midfield on offense)
    Saints 24, Eagles 23

Saints 34, Seahawks 17

Super Bowl Extra Large I
    Chargers 34, Saints 31 (congrats Marty Schloppenheimer)

Draft saved Draft deleted