1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2006-07 NFL Conference Championship thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Double, good post. People seem to get their idea about a team, then stick with it instead of putting in the work to really follow what's going on with said team. It's shoddy, lazy analysis work. The Brown and Harris injuries killed them.

At this point, I'd rather see Anderson on the field more often and Ogunleye on there less, but I'm not sure Anderson can stop the run whatsoever. Not like anyone else can since Brown went down, though.

I've seen the same thing with Indy in reverse - when Bob Sanders was out, teams ran rampant on them. Since he's returned, that run defense has really, really shored up. People forget how important a smart safety with good instincts can be in slowing down the run.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Double: You're right. To all Bears fans-please notice Grossman had a much better overall game than did Tom Brady yesterday or Peyton Manning the day before that.
    Had to laugh at the trio of ex-player savants on CBS tut-tutting about Grossman's game. "Yes, he did well at the end," said D. Marino, "but when the pass rush got right in his face, he was rattled."
    1. What quarterback isn't?
    2. The VERY SAME sentence would be an accurate description of Brady's game, which of course the trio went into multiple orgasms over.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

- I think it's a bit disingenuous after years of "I dont care how great Manning plays in the big games, he's a choker if they lose" arguments, despite him repeatedly putting them in position to win (was Bernie Kosar a choker?) to now say "but he didn't play well" after he wins a game you all had him losing.

- Indy-27 NE-17

- NO-34 Chi-30 for the right to be this year's version of the Chris Chandler Falcons / Stan Humphries Chargers with a better story.

- Indy-37 NO-20

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Now that Rex Grossman has taken his team to a Conference Championship game, can we stop hearing that Michael Vick took a team, one and done, to a Conference Championship game?

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'll do you one better:

Trent Dilfer
    Stan Humphries
    Chris Chandler
    Kerry Collins
    David Woodley
    etc.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Jeff Hostetler

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Gotta say, Tomlinson had a point in his post-game presser. The Pats celebration was a little classless.

Act like you've been there before New England. It's not like you're the only team to outcoach and outplay a Marty Schottenheimer team in the playoffs. :D

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Mark Rypien

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Personally, I can't wait for the Colts-Pats game this week.

Peyton's first AFC title game at home and he's got the most clutch kicker in NFL history on his sideline this time. He has no excuse should he lose. Should he win, he gets the ultimate vindication because he beat Tom Brady, the guy who everyone says can't lose in January.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I may have done better in the NFC if I would have taken off my teal-colored glasses:

NFC game: Saints over Bears.
    By the way, Dyepack, that puts me at 5-3 overall.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Earlier in this thread, I picked the Pats to beat the Colts next Sunday. I stand by that.
    In the NFC title game, and this will make Spup and Doc less-than-pleased and for that I'm truly sorry but I like the Saints to beat the Bears. Bears defense hasn't been the dominant force it was earlier this year, and that's due to losing Harris and Brown. The Saints' varied offense should confound the Bears defense and I don't think a Rex Grossman led offense can win a shootout.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm calling people randomly from the phone book (northern New England here) and asking for their thoughts and predictions on the Pats-Colts. A handful of Pats fans picked the Colts.

Draft saved Draft deleted