1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Runnin' on Empty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by taller hack, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Desolate? It could be questioned that civilization doesn't exist - except maybe through Cheyenne. Sort of.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I-90 though Wyoming is like Park Avenue compared to I-80 in Wyoming.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

had a car in college that was empty when the gas gauge showed a quarter-tank. took me six times to figure it out.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

During a break from college, I was driving my dad's truck, and I ran out of gas a mile or two away from a station. I turned to my brother, who'd driven the truck before, and said, "The needle's not even on E. What's the deal?" "Oh," he said. "You didn't know it's broken? It doesn't go to E anymore."

I thought hard about throwing him into traffic.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Twice I've owned cars that had broken fuel guages.
    That was the only time I ever ran out of gas.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

please tell me he did the pushing

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

We were going to my sisters, and we weren't way out of her way. So she stopped at the station by her house and brought me a can. I hate my brother sometimes.

8. KG

KG Active Member

I've "ran out" a couple of times, but was able to restart my car after stopping (assume it moved a tiny bit of gas to another part of the tank), which got me the other 1/2 mile or so to the gas station.

Not long after we were married, Mr. G and I were on our way for a visit home in KY. He was driving, I was trying to nap. We were on I-24, and I knew we needed to stop for gas. We'd even discussed it. He wanted to wait. We get a little way past this Cadiz exit and pu put put put. We were out of gas. He just HAD to run out in the middle of (what I'm sure is) the longest stretch of I-24 (before you get to Eddyville) without an exit. It was freezing, so I wasn't going to stay in the car while he went for gas, so we both walked all the way back to the station, bought a can and filled it, and made the long walk back. The car still started to sputter by the time we made it to the next exit. I'll never let him forget about it. ;-)

Draft saved Draft deleted