1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Runnin' on Empty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by taller hack, Nov 29, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You really need to work on your technique when pulling the old, "Oops, I ran out of gas" routine.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I know, right? There's so much frustration, embarrassment and self-hatred in my face that she never even questioned the problem. She probably was thinking, "Really? This is all I could get?"

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

When I was 15, I spent most of that year riding around with a good friend who was almost a year older.

We were in a neighboring town, and he stopped for $2 worth of gasoline. I'm not kidding - $2. I urged him to put more in than that, and based on his counterargument, I got the impression that this was pretty much the way he rolled.

Anyway, he ran out of gas about five miles short of our places. At least he was able to pull into a long driveway. But I think I gave him more crap about it than anyone else. His father came with a can of gasoline eventally, calling his son a "knucklehead." His father probably knew me well enough to know that I was going to lecture him enough for all of us - especially since I had to wait for help with him.

And yes ... he was my friend. 'Twas not I. No freaking way.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Only once, but it was during a natural disaster, where electricity went out all over the place and the gas pumps didn't work. My car sat in my parking lot for a few days until the pumps worked again.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ran out on the way to class in college. The AAA driver looks at me and said, "son, I'm sure your dad's had the convo with you already. Spend the money on gas not beer."

6. Never ran out of gas (knock on wood). Had some close calls. Luckily now my car tells me how many miles I have left until empty.

7. taller hack

taller hack Member

the miles to empty thing may have been my undoing. i just got a new car in august. old one had it, new one doesn't.

8. dmc

dmc Guest

The little "how to" book that comes with cars should tell you how many miles you can drive once the light goes on. Mine is 30 miles.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I haven't run out of gas in years, but in my 20s, I ran out of gas more times than I'd care to count. The people I had to call to help me out when I did it in the middle of the night didn't appreciate my lax attitude toward filling up the gas tank. But now that there's no one who would come and get me, I can't be running out of gas.

10. joe

joe Active Member

When you run out of gas during a snowstorm in the middle of the night on I-80 in Wyoming, get back to me.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

when did i start posting as pallister?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Well that's just dumb.

Is I-80 as desolate through Wyoming as I-90?

Draft saved Draft deleted