1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Runaway slave"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 12, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Jesse Jackson has done more harm than good in regard to race relations. Riding MLK's coattails shouldn't have given him a lifetime pass for using race to line his pockets. No matter how great a rhymer he happens to be.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If LeBron was such a quitter why did Dan James want so badly to hold onto him?

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The key word is "was". He's a carnival barker now. Even most African-Americans, such as myself, don't listen to a word he says today.

qtlaw, Jesse is ruining his accomplishments during the Civil Rights era by his antics, behavior, and words right now. What does the generation behind me, these millennials, know about Jesse? It's sure as hell isn't what he did back then. It's what he is right now:

A has been.

Gregg Doyel held nothing back on Jesse: http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/13637053/jacksons-opinion-makes-other-side-look-better?tag=headlines;other

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I have no clue who Dan James is, but if you meant Dan Gilbert that's quite a dumb question.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yes.
    Yes, he's hardly been relevant for the past 20 years but much like an elder relative, you need to respect the past. Ignoring the past is a fundamental flaw of the younger generation; I really believe that. I'm in my late 40's, what Jesse Jackson and the others did in the 60s has made life so much different for me and my kids than it was for my grandparents and parents. That's a fact of life. His Rainbow Coalition in the 80s, though unsuccessful, laid the groundwork for Obama to be considered a viable contender for the presidency.

6. Point of Order

Pardon me. Mental slip on the man with 2 first names. Dan Gilbert, yes. Why is it a dumb question? If you really think someone is a quitter why do you want them?

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

8. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Reading this, I keep coming back to Eddie Murphy's "retarded slave" speech from "Bowfinger."

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

If you owned a business that was worth hundreds of million of dollars more with one particular employee than without, and you had nobody you could replace him with that could remotely approximate the value he provides, would you give two shits whether he was a quitter in deciding whether to keep him?

Doesn't matter what their opinion is of him personally, there isn't an owner alive who wouldn't have been utterly desperate to re-sign Lebron in the situation Gilbert was in.

10. Point of Order

Did you delete your "What's the big deal about marching in the Civil Rights Movement" post?

Draft saved Draft deleted