1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Runaway slave"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So analogizes Rev. Jesse Jackson about Dan Gilbert's treatment of LeBron James:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5372266

This is not the first time I've seen the racial component of the story raised. I read a column from someone - maybe Jason Whitlock? - that said that LeBron would "dance for the Miami Heat fans next," or something along those lines.

Interesting thoughts, and reflective of Rhoden's book a few years ago, "$40 Million Dollar Slaves."

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wow, color me shocked that the Rev. Jesse Jackass said something ridiculous and idiotic in a shameless self-serving attempt to get his name in the news..... ::)

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

... or that Whitlock or Rhoden brought up something about race.

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Jackson needs World Wide Wes to handle his extortion racket.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

And that's exactly what it is. Companies have paid him millions to leave them alone.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

When "Reverend" Jackson was walking in Memphis with the striking sanitation workers in 1968 alongside Dr. King, did he ever think of the day where an 18-year-old minority - with nothing more than a high school education - could make millions playing basketball? Or make $300 million by the time he'll be 30?

7. CR19

CR19 Member

Dr. King fought for the rights of all African Americans across the country. Jackson (why is he a reverend?) argues for the right of a selfish basketball star. Now there's a difference.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can kind of see where Jackson is coming from. He may even believe what he said.

And some of that "I own you" mentality might have been at work for Gilbert, but it's a fine line and I don't quite get what this bombast accomplishes for Jackson.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There have been a number of times where Jackson has tried to jump into a sports controversy, only to be told that there's nothing to see here. I remember at one point he tried to do this every time an African-American coach was fired and replaced with a white coach.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Jackson comes off as a racist for automatically implying race. If I were LeBron James I would be angered at the Rev. (not Dan Gilbert) for likening him to a runaway slave.

11. CR19

CR19 Member

Also, let's compare the situations. A slave had no rights, was brutally abused, and had no chance to get out of their life. A rich basketball like LeBron controls the media (3-hour special on ESPN), is praised and worshipped by millions, and can choose to do anything they want. With a stretch that big, Jackson can cross the Canyon of Insanity.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/dave_zirin/01/18/mlk/index.html

Draft saved Draft deleted