1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Run Ricky Run' Worth Seeing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Apr 26, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Finally saw this yesterday. I give Ricky all the credit in the world for traveling his own path. That takes guts. On the other hand, I found the most telling quote from Ricky was that during his Boston rehab, he was diagnosed with "narcissistic personality and avoidance." That hit the nail on the head because as I watched, I got the impression that his journey was based in large part on him being a self-absorbed asshole. When you answer on camera, "Not really" to the question "Did you think about your kids during (the time you were trying to find yourself)," it's clear you leave a lot to be desired in the grown-up department. Ultimately, as my SO pointed out, it was great to see that by the end, it appeared all his searching had resulted in him becoming a better man. But we both agreed he's going to backslide at some point; it's just his mercurial nature.

2. Mediator

Mediator Member

YG that is an excellent point about the comment that he didn't think about his kids. I'm a parent and I can't think of a single instance where that separation wouldn't kill me.

To me, that illustrated his depressed period, but then at the end there was a line about him still struggling to be a present father. It's hard to justify that, and I thought it was very honest to keep it in. But yes, makes him very unsympathetic.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

interesting. thanks for clarifying, lugnuts. i agree that once he recognizes the serious studying necessary just to take the mcat, not to mention the work involved during actual med school, he may back off. but i guess he's surprised us before.

4. Of all the things he said during the film, this was by far the thing that stuck out most to me. Although, he did say he only misses them "when I thinks about them." I'm not really sure what that even means.

Without question, though, he's one of the most fascinating athletes, hell he's one of the most fascinating people, on the planet. I almost envy Le Batard for getting to cover the trials and tribulations. I know it would have been painstaking more often than not but I feel like it would have ultimately been worth it because he would have made you see the world from a different angle.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

Other thing that disturbed me was that LeBatard etc. were identified as "journalist/friend."

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So was Mike Silver.

7. Mizzougrad96

Watching the Paul Westhead one... Just awesome... There's one part when they're talking about Hank Gathers that gave me insane chills.

I was listening to Carolla's podcast this morning and he's interviewing the director of the new Jack Abrahamoff documentary that comes out and he said he's doing a 30 for 30 on Buckner and Steve Bartman that comes out this fall.

8. Mizzougrad96

I guess this is the unofficial 30 for 30 thread and I watched Ice Cube's Straight Outta LA one about the Raiders, and while it wasn't bad, it certainly wasn't at the level of the other ones.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I thought it was pretty interesting. Al Davis in HD was freaking frightening, though. Those yellow teeth - hideous! Brush your teeth, man! He looked like the cryptkeeper.
    Also, did anyone else notice that when Ice Cube and Snoop Dogg were throwing the football around on the Coliseum floor, talking about their Raiders memories, it was lined up - for soccer?
    Wonder if that was planned or just perfect imagery...

10. Mizzougrad96

I doubt it was planned.

I also wonder how much help Ice Cube had doing that. I doubt he was the one interviewing Plaschke. ;D

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Got a chance to watch this. Ricky Williams is a pretty fucked up guy who likes smoking dope but doesn't because it will prevent him from playing in the NFL. I pray for him.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

From that first link:
    WTF is that?! Never heard it put that way before...

Draft saved Draft deleted