1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Run Ricky Run' Worth Seeing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ricky Williams loved to play football and smoke dope. That's the story. All that other crap of people trying to explain in his ways is, to me, crap.

2. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Just watched it, great stuff. What an interesting guy.

3. Mediator

Mediator Member

This was amazing. And I agree that I have rarely seen an athlete be so brave and introspective on film. And directing those in his life to be the same way. You would not dismiss him as a pot fiend after seeing this. Clearly he's been dealing with serious emotional problems. I was looking forward to this part of the 30 for 30 series, but I was unprepared for the wallop. Still feeling it a few days later.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i just saw it last night. it was terrific. still, my complaint is that it glossed over one major issue, which is how he went from not giving a shit about football to being motivated to take the beating and be in top shape physically and mentally upon his return. he is a fascinating person.

by the way, at the Q & A, did he get specific about his 'medical school' plans? my impression was that when he was playing doctor at the end of the film and talked about 'med school' he was referring to being an acupuncturist or new age quack or something, not a real m.d.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I also got the impression that he was not trying to become "a real MD"

I saw it over the weekend. Great stuff... He's definitely one of the most fascinating/intriguing athletes of my lifetime.

I've now seen five of the 30 for 30 movies. I've seen the Ricky Williams, the who killed the USFL, the Miami, the Len Bias and the Jimmy the Greek one and the Jimmy the Greek one was the only one I thought wasn't tremendous and even that wasn't too bad.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Did you mistakenly put down your optics for myopics?

7. Mizzougrad96

Completely disagree. He's one of the most conflicted athletes of our time and while I'd never go as far as to say I understand or respect what Williams did, following the ups and downs of his career has been incredibly fascinating.

8. I watched this four days ago and I still haven't come to a conclusion about who I think Ricky Williams is. I suppose maybe that's how it's supposed to be. As I watched I alternately thought he was a genius and a lunatic. I guess I'm convinced he's one of the most thoughtful and intelligent athletes of his generation. But I also am convinced he's bi-polar.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, I think he meant real medical school.

My impression was that when he got to Boston, he probably went through some serious, truly legit psychotherapy with some folks who knew what they were doing. He made the comment that the Boston people convinced him he needed "real credentials" if he wanted to get into medicine.

During the Q & A, someone raised his hand and said, "Doctor, my back's been giving me trouble. What's your recommendation?" And I think everyone in the room expected Ricky to say, "Acupuncture and herbs" or some such. But Ricky deadpanned, "Take 2 Advil and call me in the morning." It drew a laugh, but I kind of took that to mean maybe he's moving away from this new age quackery a bit??

Of course, once he understands that it will take him a good year+ to even prep for the MCAT, he may change his mind....

But no, I think he was actually talking about real med school.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I had a similar feeling. But, then I realized, not all good stories need a conclusion. He's still living, breathing, playing, excelling...all in the present tense.

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

I agree about brilliant and possibly bipolar. But I will read and watch everything about him going forward. I really respected the fact that he didn't stay on the treadmill but wanted to live an examined life, albeit troubled and self-medicating.

I never bought the dope fiend narrative. I'm sure it's simpler to just dismiss him that way.

12. Mizzougrad96

I know a ton of athletes who smoke pot. I don't know a ton of athletes who walk away from millions of dollars to work as a "healer"

Draft saved Draft deleted