1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Run Ricky Run' Worth Seeing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine scored me some tickets to Tribeca this weekend, and I saw some stinkers... but remembering our beloved former SportsJournalists.com contributor Jones and his piece on Ricky Williams living in the tent, I dragged my tired butt to 'Run Ricky Run' last night.

Wanted to give a heads up that there might be some news to come out of this one. Something was revealed that I had not seen or read anywhere, and frankly, it explains a lot.

I was also surprised to actually see Ricky at the screening because it must have been uncomfortable for him to watch. Anyway, he did discuss retirement in a Q & A session afterwards... says he's seriously considering medical school.

Anyway, I wanted to give a heads up that if you're going to see one of these 30-for 30s, this might be one you want to check out.

Airs tomorrow evening, I believe. Very good little film, by the way.... The filmmaker had pretty extraordinary access, even by today's 'reality TV' standards.

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Don't leave us hanging, Luggy! What news came out of it? I've always had a soft spot for Ricky despite his many issues, and don't want to wait until I see the movie to know the spoiler.
    Did Jones get a credit or have anything to do with the movie?

3. Lugnuts

Ginger, The write up that Evil posted does a good job of explaining, though, you really have to see the film to get how "chilling" it is. There is one interview in particular that is unreal.

I could be wrong, but I have never seen or read anything about it.

I just wish everyone could have been at the Q & A last night to see how truly lucid and together Williams appears to be at this point. He was affable, relaxed, succinct... his answers made much more sense than some of the questions asked, put it that way.

I don't want to give away the whole film, but the filmmaker follows Williams through those 6 or so "lost years," and something happens toward the end that convinces me he finally got help from some folks who knew what they were doing.

As for Jones, I did see a photo in the film that looked like it might have been from the now-famous Esquire story... but I forgot to look at the credits.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought this was a thread on the David Cross movie.

5. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Sadly, that was my first thought, too.

That said, Run Ronnie Run is also worth seeing.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

FWIW, this abuse "news" came out more than a month ago.

7. Lugnuts

Really? Ok - my bad. I wonder why it wasn't much of story. Do we just not care anymore, or was I just not paying attention?

Who came out with the story?

8. BTExpress

Here is where I first heard about it. Maybe there were some pre-screenings a few weeks ago.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-03-26/sports/sfl-ricky-williams-espn-documentary-032610_1_ricky-williams-sandy-williams-documentary

9. Lugnuts

Okay, so it was still this film that revealed the abuse.

The way news is made still baffles me.

An unknown hockey player in Canada reveals he was abused, and it's a big story. Ricky Williams-- a guy who has gotten more press throughout his career than ... certainly the average NFL player ... reveals he was abused by his own father, and it's not really a story.

I guess when something comes out as part of a documentary, the news media sees it in a different light. It wasn't even the lede in that link you posted.

10. BTExpress

One involved photos over a limited amount of time, and the charge was "sexually annoying". The other involved six years of twice-weekly molestation, threats if the kid spoke up and finally a sexual assault charge.

Parents have complete control over the former ("I would never do that"), but they do not have the same control over the latter ("Is my child's coach a decent person?").

All that plays into it, I guess.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I loved this one ... best one yet, and I've really liked all of them (with the exception of 'Silly Little Game'). What an interesting person with a different view on life. Just do much different than 99 percent of most professional athletes.

I thought the documentary was so revealing ... he was willing to show people who he was, warts and all. That was pretty brave, because I don't think many people would be willing to do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted