1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Run for the Roses Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, May 1, 2013.

1. I think Orb and Verrazano are head and shoulders the best two horses, and Verrazano is clearly the most talented horse. But I had Orb as my winner even before he won the Florida Derby, so I'm sticking with him. I think Java's War is the best closer in the field and could sneak into the top three or four. And call me crazy, but I really like the Irish horse Lines of Battle. Reminds me a lot of I'll Have Another from last year. Won't do any one thing spectacularly, but is just a real solid horse.

I think it's going to be a really fast pace, like under 23 quarter and about 45 half mile which could eliminate Goldencents because he didn't run well in a really fast pace in the San Felipe. Plus, a really quick early pace I think favors someone like Java's War who can kick strong for 3/16 to a quarter mile if needed.

That being said, I'm going to play Orb, Revolutionary and Java's War in a trifecta box tomorrow. But I have no confidence in that pick whatsoever.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I like Mylute as well. The Run for the Roses with a jockey named Rosie? Why not? Also like Normandy Invasion.

And please, no Goldencents just so we don't have to listen to all the Rick Pitino "owned" horse winning when he owns all of 5 percent.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I put $10 to show on Revolutionary. I literally did four minutes of research, so I didn't want to spend much or do anything with a box or wheel.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm looking at a 16, 12, 10, 9, 8 trifecta box.

If the track is sloppy, I'll play 2, 5, 3, 17.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting column by the C-J's Adam Himmelsbach on the guy who runs the starting gate at Churchill Downs, and everything that goes into his job:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130503/COLUMNISTS02/305030145/Adam-Himmelsbach-Scott-Jordan-pushing-button-open-gates-really-finish-line

6. MileHigh

Post time.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Like usual, I picked my horse solely by name. Maybe itsmyluckyday.

8. MileHigh

Orb from way back.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

well done, my man... please post your preakness pick here the a.m. of the race!!!

10. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Hot dang! The horse with the shortest name won the Derby!

Signed,
    Relieved page designer who doesn't have to try fitting something like "Normandy Invasion," "Goldencents" or "Will Take Charge" in a headline

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

But you can do things with those longer names. Options are more limited with a name like Orb.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A.) Glad I made $17 on my bet on Revolutionary to show.
    B.) The ONE YEAR I don't put money on Robby, he pays $19.40 to show on a $2 bet.
    C.) Very happy for Shug, a Lexington boy.
    D.) My dad picked Java's War, which was 15th or 16th. I am still mocking him.

Draft saved Draft deleted