1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rumsfeld on 'kill team' photos: 'Much worse' than Abu Ghraib

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Yes, but YF is not the only one that does this. But when the other side does it he/she are preaching to the choir, thus not much conflict. The facts are that anything YF, O-T, Mizzou or myself posts is going to be viewed with a jaundiced eye regardless, so why not go ahead and cater to expectations? I know, boo-hoo, right?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The passive-aggressive style of thread starting and point making is tiresome and insulting.

Golly, gee, I wonder why ...

Yeah, right.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'll kick your ass for that. And WFFW, JD

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

BREAKING NEWS: Men and women who volunteer for a voluntary armed force are sometimes - SOMEtimes - not fighting for their country and simply are blood-thristy maniacs who want to be able to legally kill people. Well I'm shocked, considering that there have been atrocities in war for as long as there has been war. Afterall, Sherman didn't burn all that shit down because he couldn't find his car keys and he was pissed.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Another thing about Abu Ghraib, it happened in the midst of "our we torturing?" debates. The administration said it was enhanced interrogation, nobody knew what that meant. When they saw the pictures, people began to get an idea.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Abu Graib was not torture and had nothing to do with enhanced interrogation techniques.

The "bad guys" at Abu Ghraib were not interrogators, they were jailers. The nakedness and whatever else they did was not done as part of any interrogation.

It was done for the guards amusement and to humiliate the detainees.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

1. The Abu Ghraib scandal indeed covered interrogation issues.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20478391/ns/world_news-mideast/n_africa/

2. By any measure, the stuff the Abu Ghraib guards -- all guardsmen, IIRC, not full-time soldiers, and that should be noted -- did was torture.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5395830/Abu-Ghraib-abuse-photos-show-rape.html

Merriam-Webster says torture is:

I think rape qualifies on both of those counts.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No new opinion on the dispute here, but I did get the Rolling Stone issue today.

Holy. Shit.

Wow.

Closest I've ever come, I think, to crying at a photo. Just overwhelming stuff.

Regardless of your political affiliation, it should be required reading/viewing for everyone who thinks war is this neato skeato, shoot 'em up real life video game that Lee Greenwood sings about and the NFL celebrates before playoff games.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
    Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
    Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
    Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
    My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
    Pro patria mori.

-- Wilfred Owen

11. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Yea, who knew war sucked? Thank god Rolling Stone had the guts to publish all those gruesome images. Or else we'd never learn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Easily the most idiotic thing I've read since I joined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.