1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rumsfeld on 'kill team' photos: 'Much worse' than Abu Ghraib

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's a rather weak rebuttal.

He says he's calling bullshit, but he doesn't actually refute or disprove anything said in the Rolling Stone piece and "I didn't see anything myself" is hardly a credible unbiased argument. And a couple of his assertions, such that those with knowledge "would fit in a minivan" are supported by no facts and refuted by evidence in the RS piece indicating that a helluva lot more people knew about it than that.

He does make one valid point about the "motorcycle kill" video being included in a link alongside the illegal kill photos, that was misleading and perhaps unfair. But he pokes no holes in the article itself.

2. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I think no one was buying this weak-ass shit, anyway, but I enjoy piling on, because I enjoy feeling much smarter than you.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I sure you "feel" smarter than me. And to a liberal, "feelings" are what really matters.

It's a shame that you're wrong.

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Not at all. Also, you have misused the term "meme" when you meant "turn of phrase," or "figure of speech." I'm here to help.

5. YankeeFan

Disagree. I'm quite happy with my choice of words.

But thanks for the offer of help. With your skills, if you keep plugging away, I'm sure you'll eventually land in a decent sized market again and work at a paper in the top 100 in circulation nationally.

6. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

You can't disagree. It isn't a matter of interpretation. You don't understand the term. Since a meme is, by definition, capable of self-replication, a "meme" cannot belong to "Zeke" or any other single person. For it to be a meme, various people would have to use various forms of it, which belies your description entirely.

This has been Pedantic Mac. Know your words before you use them, kids.

7. YankeeFan

Anything to avoid the subject.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Christ, could YY and MM please spare us their usual thread crushing snipefest? So fucking old.

9. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Multiple people have stated the premise of the thread is flawed. So the subject has become why someone would start such a stupid thread: Ignorance or bias?
    For the record, I vote both.

It's a shame some of us are unfamiliar with the Society of Jesus. Their emphasis on logic really would help some people.

10. YankeeFan

Well, since some people are using more than one handle, you should point out that not as many people disagree with me as it might look to the naked eye.

And, I was schooled in both High School & College by Jesuits. I'm not at all unfamiliar with them.

11. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

In deference to Jesuits, don't go around saying that, "YankeeFan".

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's too bad, because the underlying story is worth discussion. But appears nobody can see past the dumb way it was originally presented so, I give up, fire away political guttersnipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.