1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rumsfeld on 'kill team' photos: 'Much worse' than Abu Ghraib

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I trace the start of Abu Ghraib as a "story" to the release of the photos by CBS, which is also the frenzy YF is talking about. But yeah, the Kill Team story could percolate and become much bigger, I guess. I don't believe it will, for the fatigue reason others have stated and also because as I noted earlier, there's really no other side of the debate on this one.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't play the red/blue/media game, so I don't give a shit. But its pretty clear that's what you are getting at.

3. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

If things that are not alike are exactly alike, then everything I know to be false can be true, and I will win.

I don't know. You tell me.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Much worse."*

*Donald Rumsfeld on all bad things everywhere, when considered in opposition to those bad things directly involving Donald Rumsfeld, like say those bad things for which Donald Rumsfeld gave a direct order and for which Donald Rumsfeld might one day be held responsible.

5. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Reuters:

Washington - Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and other senior U.S. officials share much of the blame for detainee abuse at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, according to portions of a report released on Thursday by the Senate Armed Services Committee.
    The report's executive summary, made public by the committee's Democratic chairman Sen. Carl Levin of Michigan and its top Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona, said Rumsfeld contributed to the abuse by authorizing aggressive interrogation techniques at Guantanamo Bay on December 2, 2002.
    He rescinded the authorization six weeks later. But the report said word of his approval continued to spread within U.S. military circles and encouraged the use of harsh techniques as far away as Iraq and Afghanistan.
    The report concluded that Rumsfeld's actions were "a direct cause of detainee abuse" at Guantanamo and "influenced and contributed to the use of abusive techniques ... in Afghanistan and Iraq."

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This thread was derailed from the beginning by the dumb agenda-driven way the topic was introduced through the Rumsfeld quote and Abu Ghraib comparison.

But, setting aside the political bullshit, I'm a tad surprised at the lack of comments on the Kill Team story itself. I found that RS article to be a fairly shocking read.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, isn't that part of the point? As Dan pointed out, NPR reported on this back in September. And, Azrael is right that Morlock's sentencing received media attention.

But did anyone publish the photos until Der Spiegel did last week?

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,752310,00.html

And, when they did, did anyone pick up on it? It sure didn't cause the frenzy that the publication of the Abu Ghraib pictures did.

The article I linked to was an interview with Rumsfeld and specifically dealt with the comparison to Abu Ghraib. That's why the topic was introduced in the way it was.

And, it's comments like his that may drive the story into the limelight, so that's why it's relevant.

8. YankeeFan

Ah, "Mark McGwire's" tired schtick. More of your usual meme that anyone who you disagree with is using faulty logic, therefor you don't have to engage, defend, or debate.

What a great way to constantly avoid uncomfortable discussions. It's pure brilliance.

And, lacking an investigation by the Senate Armed Services Committee, such finding would not have been made.

So, I'm sure you support an investigation in this matter as well.

9. Exactly. I think America is at a point where it's just absolutely burned out on this sort of thing. I'm too young to know, but didn't this happen with Vietnam, too? Weren't people just staring through their televisions after a while?

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

FWIW, from a former Green Beret who was an embed with 5/2.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/calling-bullshit-on-rolling-stone.htm

11. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

It's not my fault your logic sucks so bad, or that you've got beaten up for it so badly on this thread.

But, so you know: This story came to light as a result of an Army investigation. And, no, just because one investigation into one thing is a good thing does not mean a person must support investigations into any other thing. Your logical fallacy here is false equivalence, and you can look it up on the internet to avoid it in the future. Or you can go fix me a cup of coffee and do something useful.

Either way, you're likely to be out of your depth.

I honestly don't know what is sadder. That you think considering logic is a way to avoid debate or that in your post expressing such a stupid idea, you used a categorized logical fallacy.

12. YankeeFan

Keep trying to make it personal, "Mark". Thing is, that doesn't get under my skin.

I'm quite proud of my career, unlike yourself.

Wasn't this Zeke's meme before you stole it?

Bash the logic all you want. Respond to Rumsfeld, not me, then.

What are your thoughts on this episode?

As for being out of my depth, are you still supporting Mubarak?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.