1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rumsfeld and Squash

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Sep 23, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Funny, I would've thought you'd be arguing that GWB's presidency is the illusion.

And please, show me where to sign up for another of those eight-year illusions.

2. I don't think we'll be getting too many more "holidays from history," thanks.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wow, a little spastic, aren't we? I was just saying how it is with me on the golf course. I go to hang out with friends as much as chase that stupid little ball into the woods. No need to be such a kneejerk.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And Slater reads SportsJournalists.com again:

http://www.slate.com/id/2150374/nav/tap2/

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Btw, I don't mind the comparison to Clinton's golf game. Yeah, he cheated, but he did it pretty much out in the open and his group didn't really mind because they liked the guy. And they weren't playing for bragging rights, it was all in good fun (see the similarities).

Clinton didn't yell while the other guys were in the middle of their backswing, and didn't intentionally walk in the line of a golfing partner's putt. He didn't browbeat his partners into writing down a four when they really made a three.

6. You guys and Clinton are perfect for each other: You can play word games and rationalize any kind of behavior, so long as it benefits your guy.

I'm not defending Rumsfeld. All I'm saying is that this is no different -- NO DIFFERENT -- than Clinton's cheating at golf. If you claim it is, then it shows how dishonest and hypocritical you are. But then again, we knew it all along.

"He cheated out in the open and didn't really mind because they liked the guy"? As John McEnroe used to say, "You cannot be serious."

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You're right. It isn't any different than Clinton's cheating at golf. Cheating is cheating. You either have the balls to call your opponent out or you don't. If you let them get away with it, it's your fault.

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Jesus, a lot of indignation flying around over a initial post that was, I'm sure, intended to be light-hearted.

Look, I don't give a shit that Bill Clinton cheated at golf, nor do I care that Duh Rumsfeld bends the rules at squash.

I'm much more concerned that Rumsfeld follow the rules outlined in the Constitution and international law. Of course, if Duh Rumsfeld has the same success at squash while breaking the rules as he's had in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, he sucks at squash, too.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Cheating is cheating. Agreed.

However, comparing a game of golf to squash is idiotic.

It's like comparing lawn bowling to hockey.

Wait, Lyman brought it up.

Everything is clear.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You guys really need to get a life.

Arguing about how two POLITICIANS play sports. POLITICIANS, people! That's right, two people who could give a fuck less about any of us. Two people who don't give a fuck about YOUR well-being. Two people who don't give a damn about you and want nothing but your vote or your money, whichever comes first.

For Christ's sake, read what you've written. It's just sad.

Edit: I hit the post button before I finished typing.

11. Do you really believe this shit?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good. Because we thought you lost your train of thought or were seriously ADD... neither of which is good for a future officer...

Draft saved Draft deleted