1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rumored Ron Artest trade to Knicks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This is the sort of thing I wouldn't write for publication, because I'm not a doctor and have not performed an extensive medical examination on Ron Artest. But on a message board, what the hell...

I'm convinced Artest is undiagnosed bipolar. That's my nonexpert opinion based on bipolars I've known (including my prom date) over the years. The bipolars I've known, when they're in a manic phase, they can do anything. When they're on a down cycle, look out. The way Artest goes up and down, I wonder.

Actually, you could probably look at a lot of athletes (like the general population) and find undiagnosed problems that could be at least controlled with medication and/or therapy. The mental health care for athletes, like the rest of us, sucks. But the sports world does not take mental illness seriously, and, even more than the general population, views it as a sign of weakness. Now that, I have written for publication.

EDIT: I should be fair and point out Donnie Walsh, among others, tried mightily to get Artest some help. But like a lot of bipolars, Artest literally flushed down the toilet any medication he got.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Mental illness or mental retardation?

3. Kroog City

Kroog City Member

In the words of the immortal Isiah Thomas: "It's so crazy it just might work."

That statement seems to have been the motto of NBA general management across the board lately.

Hope always springs eternal in New York - use Spike as the official thermometer.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Latest out of NY is that Isiah has told the Kings that he won't include Lee in any deal for Artest. If that's true, I don't see how Sac trades him to the Knicks, unless Geoff Petrie has been taking stupid pills.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It depends if Sac has reached the point with Ron-Ron that almost all teams eventually reach with guys like Artest, Spree, Webber, Sheed, etc etc etc., when they cross the philosophical Rubicon, when their No. 1 objective in any prospective deal is to GET RID of Mr. Problem; you don't really care what you get back in return.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I don't think its a good idea for Ron to return home.

Too many negative elements out here for hims to be near.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

This is true. I don't see Isiah being shrewd enough to realize that, though. If he can get Artest for some combination of the human debris on the Knicks' bench that doesn't include Lee then he's smarter than I give him credit for.

Draft saved Draft deleted