1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rumored Ron Artest trade to Knicks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Artest's body of work strongly suggests serious mental issues.

The boy ain't wired right.

2. I repeat what I said at the time of the Randolph trade --
    What could possibly go wrong?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Truthfully, what if Isiah held his current cards? Where would the Knicks be?

Starbury, Curry, Lee, Crawford, Frye, Robinson, Balkman and Jefferies are not going to get you into the playoffs probably and in no way are going to get you into the Conference Finals or the NBA Finals. It is a huge roll of the dice, but now are least in the discussion to be a force in the East.

If he can talk Randolph and Crawford into coming off the bench, they may have something.

I like a starting lineup of Starbury, (insert a defensive minded guard), Artest, Balkman and Curry with Crawford being the first guard off the bench and Randolph being the first big off the bench.

This would give them a deep bench when you consider Jeffereis is in reserve as well.

But of course, the guys they traded for I really do not think would sit on a bench to start a game.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu called it right -- there is no major minutes role on this team for Lee after bringing Randolph over. He can't guard small forwards, so he'd only be good for those minutes that either Randolph and Curry don't play.

And this team is going to stink on defense.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Stupid question:

Would Derek Fisher have any ability or interest in trying to be the veteran calming influence on this disaster-in-waiting?

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Um...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-kings-artestarrested&prov=ap&type=lgns

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

NO...he's smarter than that.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It sounds like, though, his interest in the Knicks has more to do with proximity to care for his daughter.

9. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

it's crazy enough that it just might work

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No way does that team get to the Finals, East or no East.

Curry and Randolph play the same position and each need the ball to be effective, as does Crawford and Marbury; Ron-Ron will demand his touches or he'll pout and spout off in the papers.

This team is a car wreck waiting to happen. If they get Artest, it will be the costliest disaster since Waterworld.
    [/quote]Shows how much you know. Artest is a very unselfish player.
    If they catch fire early, I think they'll be fine. Winning cures everything. They can do whatever the hell they want to inside the locker room and in the clubs. The scoreboard dosn't count any punches thrown during team showers after practice.
    This team will win and they'll be a very dangerous team come playoff time.

p.s. I think the only problem with this team is Isiah Thomas.
    [/quote]Should the proposed trade go through and the players get in trouble off-the-court, it will affect the on-court performance. Nowhere else in the league is there a nightly media crunch as there is in NY. On a normal night, there are 30-to-50 media members at a Knick game. Say there's a fight or an arrest. That number goes up exponentially.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You're right Bob. My mistake.

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

Randolph just averaged 23 and 10 in the Western Conference. That means playing for New York, he's the definite No. 1 option and should probably touch the ball at least once per offensive possession. Bringing this guy off the bench would completely defeat the purpose for trading for him.

And no, he wouldn't ever agree to come off the bench in New York, and I wouldn't blame him for it.

The best thing for NY to do? Fire Isiah Thomas, then try to trick a couple teams into taking Marbury and Crawford off the Knicks' hands. They'd be better served to just give up on the restoration project, completely blow it up, and start from scratch. If you're fighting to just get into the playoffs in the East, why have delusions of grandeur.

Draft saved Draft deleted