1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rumble Fish alert: Encore Drama

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Feb 17, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

this movie tanked 25 years ago (fuck where does the time go) but I love it. So stylish and evocative. Love Coppola's interpretation of the book. And the rumble fish are the only things that are in color.

Plus, Laurence Fishburne plays a pimp-looking daddyo, Nicholas Cage has a full head of hair and Diane Lane is in it. Can't lose!

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

35th page view, first post. BYH = fail. :D

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Surely that wasn't the clincher, Cosmo.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I just love messing with BYH, that's all.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Cosmo, you motherfucker. Rumble Fish was on last night on one of the Encores--Pacific, I think--and I thought, by God, Cosmo likes Rumble Fish and/or me enough to SEARCH for this thread to mention how much he likes the movie.

But no. You're just being an arrogant douchewad! Amazing how moving into 2nd place in the NIAFL changes people.

I'll get you. I'll get you good. At the NIAFL outing it'll be all Rumble Fish, all the time!

PS: Thanks for giving this a reply. I feel less of fail. :D

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

No, you are more of fail.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

There's something sad and pathetic in BYH's posts, from what I've seen of them.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Right, but less of fail than if my thread had 35 views and no replies.

Pseudointellectual bitch.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I never saw this. It was the weakest of the 4 books, but I'm not sure how it slipped past me.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

It slipped past you b/c it slipped past EVERYBODY. My best friend and I saw the matinee when it opened and we were the only people in the theatre.

It did poorly b/c it was it was rated R--and how many Hinton fans weren't even teenagers yet; my friend and I needed my mom to accompany us to the box office--and b/c it was trippy as shit. Got really lousy reviews, and you can see why: Coppola turned what seemed to be a pretty cut-and-dry novel about a weak kid pining for the good ol' days in '60s-era Tulsa and made a B&W film that is shot, literally, thru a fog and is about Rusty James and an iconic brother who, until the very end of the movie, seemed to be some sort of supernatural figure.

He also took liberties with time and space: You can't tell if it's taking place in the '60s or the '80s and the movie keeps jumping back and forth. What is the present? Is the movie even taking place in the present?

I sure as fuck didn't get it at 10 years old (I did like seeing boobs on the big screen though). but I got the DVD out of curiosity a few years ago and really, really liked it. No, it's not a faithful adaptation, but I appreciated Coppola's interpretation. He took a chance and I thought he did something really interesting with it. I've watched it on DVD multiple times and, as noted about four months ago :D I'll drop whatever I'm doing if it comes on.

As for where it ranks among her books...not sure what the worst one is, I loved every one of them. Tex is probably my least favorite. The Outsiders is one of the most memorable books I've ever read (and read and read and read) but my favorite was probably That Was Then, This Is Now...and the movie adaptation is BY FAR my least favorite Hinton movie. I still haven't forgiven Emilio Estevez for just fucking MURDERING that ending. Hopefully Hinton hasn't either. The book had a great bleak ending and Estevez gave the movie a stupid Hollywood ending.

Draft saved Draft deleted