1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rule Change Eliminates a Fake Pickoff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I hate this.

One of my favorite things to do is to scream "balk" whenever a pitcher tries this move -- even though I know it's not a balk.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would be in favor of the death penalty for coaches who order this in the 10-year-old ranks -- and there are a lot of 'em -- but I don't have a great feeling either way on this one.i don't think it will speed up the game a whole ton as opposed to some of the things they could do regarding the batter staying in the box.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It works one time a year, which is the only reason pitchers do it at any level.

The result of this is runners at first and third will take even bigger leads, pitchers will throw to first more often to hold the runner closer, and the game pace will bog down even more. Way to go, MLB.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

On the other hand, you'll actually be telling the truth when this happens now.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed, with beat writer friends and SIDs, calling for the automatic ejection of anyone who yelled "Balk!" after this move.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP stupid over-coaching nonsense. Please take the freeze-the-kicker timeout with you.

7. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

This could change the AL pennant race. Max Scherzer has baseball's only good fake-to-third, throw-to-first pickoff move.

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I remember when someone turned a double play against the Braves a few years back on that play. Got Chipper Jones and Yunel Escobar, but I don't remember the opponent.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think it's going to be.

Kids spend way too much time worrying about base runners. When you're down 11-3, fuck the runner. just throw strikes.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

“It’s funny,” the umpire Ted Barrett said. ...

"the umpire?

What, is he like Ohio State University?

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I saw this work with the bases loaded last season. Don't remember who, what or where. Don't remember if it was an MLB or college game. (I'm as clueless as the runner on first who got picked).

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You've never read a New York Times story before?

Draft saved Draft deleted