1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rule Britannia!! 29 year old to become a Grandfather!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I met a writer last year who became a grandpa at 30. He had a kid at 15, his kid had one at 15. He's like 42 now and completely turned his life around, became a leading activist, is an awesome writer, poet, and has dedicated himself to working in poorer neighborhoods trying to prevent kids from making the mistakes he made.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Poet and activist? Sounds like he needs a job that pays.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

This is why it's sometimes soooooo easy to be a conservative in Britain. What was it? Four generations or five on the dole here, with a free apartment thrown in? I lost count.

All I know is that I'm helping pay for their lifestyle. And... (as he began to froth wildly at the mouth)... so is every American taxpayer, since the UK can't afford a decent armed forces anymore and has to rely on us.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How big of an apartment can you get? Is it better than public housing in the States? How much do you get being on the dole?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

These quotes are awesome. I want to cover the British.

“It’s like history repeating itself. I quite like the idea of being the youngest grandad in Britain, but at the same time I’m fuming that she is pregnant.

“I don’t feel like a grandad – I’ve not got grey hair and my hearing is top notch.”

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What makes you qualified to cover the British? And you realize, if you get the gig, you have to ask Jay Horowitz for the credential.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can tell when someone is really injured and when he just doesn't want to play anymore.

As for the other part of the equation, ehh, he's already gotten me to hate one former passion. Why not start anew? :D

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At the other end of the spectrum . . .

The grandson of John Tyler (b. 1790, U.S. president 1841-45) is still alive.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Didn't someone here write about (or work with someone who wrote about) a 36-year-old great-grandmother? This sounds familiar, but I confess my SJ knowledge is no longer all-consuming.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember reading that. Amazing...

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

You actually only get around £68 a week (about $115-120 depending on the exchange rate.) But you get more starting with the first kid, and the apartments are generally pretty nice. One bedroom per child and one for the Mother.

It's either rent free or heavily subsidized. So basically, you're living in central London or close to it for nothing. In the meantime, working class families who actually, uh, work, get little or no help with their housing.

[In fairness, the new Tory government is drawing back on this. But this state of affairs has been going on forever.]

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Exactly like The Royal Family.

Draft saved Draft deleted