1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ruland Acuses Iona of Racism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fascinating call today to Mike Francesa from Jeff Ruland -- former Iona Coach. Purpose was to "set the record" straight on why he was fired.

He claims that the key reason was because his wife was African American. He is a bit rambling and slinging a lot of mud, but if any sticks it's a real black eye for Iona. Nice forum that Francesa has given him.

The blow back from Iona should be interesting.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Ruland, of course, played at Iona for Jimmy V, so whatever it was that cut ties had to be pretty bad. Lots of smoke here.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's going to be hard to prove.

4. Boom_70

Ruland probably killed his chances of getting any other big time opportunities after this call.

5. Boom_70

Ruland claimed one of his assistants sued Iona for wrongful termination based on racial motives and settled for half a mil.

If true pretty embarrassing for Iona.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was 10 and a huge college basketball fan during the 1979-1980 season when Ruland and the Gaels beat the eventual NCAA champion Louisville at Madison Square Garden.

I remember listening to that game on my transistor radio in bed.

At the time, I was going to Iona Grammar School and loved Jimmy V. If it hadn't all blown up, they would have had Ruland back for a senior year along with sophomores Steve Burtt and Gary Springer.

The '79-'80 team went to the 2nd round of the NCAAs, and Burtt and Springer, along with Ruland went on to play in the NBA.

I'm as big a Jeff Ruland fan as anybody. I was thrilled when he returned to Iona and thought it was a great story that he was completing his degree while coaching the team.

All that being said, to say that Iona College is racist is the biggest -- seriously, the biggest -- piece of B.S. I've ever heard.

First of all, look at its student body and its financial aide. Iona educates, cares for, nurtures, and guides young African-American men and women every day.

The school President, Br. James Liguori, is one of the finest men you will ever meet.

The team's advisor, Br. Kevin Devlin, is an even better person that Liguori. He doesn't have a racist bone in his body.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for Jeff. I thought it was a great situation for him and it made for a good story.

But it didn't work out and it has nothing to do with racism. Less than nothing. It's sad that he's made this claim.

I lost my respect for Jimmy Valvano a long time ago. Today, I lost my respect for Jeff Ruland.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"I'm Jim Valvano. I own a college."

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ruland's biggest problem at Iona was shooting off his mouth too much. Obviously, he still has that problem.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Whether his charges are true or not, didn't Ruland violate the terms of the settlement by voicing his opinions? Don't most settlements of this nature include non-disparagement clauses?

10. Boom_70

Ruland did not get settlement. It was his assistant.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.icgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14900&ATCLID=204918076

Interesting timing. Iona just lost head coach Kevin Willard to Seton Hall.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Even more interesting, when Seton hired Gonzo a few years ago, Ruland was openly campaigning for the job, pissing off people at both Iona and Seton Hall.

Draft saved Draft deleted