1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R'uh r'oh, Penguins fans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see how quickly the NHL schedule reverts to its old format if Sid the Kid is all of a sudden playing in a Western Conference town.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It is Dennis Herron.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nah, they'll just make K-C an Eastern Conference town.

Hell, if Detroit and Nashville are in the west, there's no accounting for geography.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Quite possibly the ugliest uniforms the game has ever seen.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great picture of Denis Herron. And Beef, have you forgotten the Phoenix Picasso uniforms? The Canucks' yellow V sweaters? The Fishermen's Friend get-ups they wore on Long Island? Now those were ugly compared to what the Scouts wore.

Here's a picture of Gilles Gratton (Gratoony the Loony) in his famous Tiger mask:

[​IMG]

And one of Gary Simmons, the California Golden Cobra:

[​IMG]

Doug Favell must have been a colourful guy - I love the pumpkinhead look in particular:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's a link to the whole goalie gallery, very cool stuff: http://www3.sympatico.ca/thehockeyattic/hockeygoaliephotos.htm

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

For a while they had a display of goalie masks at the HOF. Gratton's is still the best.

[​IMG]

If you were coming in on a breakaway you wouldn't know whether to shit or laugh.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

As a city that has lost the Athletics (who went on to be three-time World Champions soon after), the Kings and the Scouts, I'll take it any way I can get it.

As as a Jaromir Jagr and Marion Lemieux fan, the Pens were always my favorite team.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

My favourite Marion, with the rest of the Cunninghams (even Chuck!!):

[​IMG] :D

9. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Considering the Trib has logos just about everywhere at Mellon Arena, I have my doubts.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

One thing to have logos plastered over the Igloo, another to back state tax money. I'd bet Scaife at least remains consistent on that.

Mario, this is what you get when you cry wolf too many times. Ravenstahl and Onorato are giving the team the bird, and I can't say that I blame them. Eff you, Ken Sawyer.

11. How does Lemieux-Burkle ownership receive criticism after they went to gov't officials in 1999 and asked for a new arena. Folks, we're talking about a $220 million arena in 1999 will now cost $290 million and because of interest over 30 years, it will result in total costs near $548 million.

When Barden forced his way into the negotiations, that's when things turned.

Pens tried to stay out of the public negotiation but Rendell, Onorato and Ravenstahl couldn't help themselves. If the Pens leave, Onorato and Ravenstahl will get a tremendous whip across the back from the voters and their political future in jeopardy.

12. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Some folks I know that used to work at the Trib said Scaife had a policy that the Pirates could not appear on A-1. For whatever reason, he had a problem with the team.

That tune's a little different now. They sponsor one of the rotundas at PNC Park.

Draft saved Draft deleted