1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rugby 7's Vegas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Watched the rugby 7's tournament from Vegas. NBC did
    a good job televising.

I think that it will generate a lot of interest in the Olympics.
    Way more action than a soccer match.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I watched about 10 minutes of it this weekend, but my problem is that I just don't understand the rules of rugby.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Canada had it's best ever 7s showing, was happy to see that.

I still prefer League and Union over 7s but 7s is a far friendlier game for TV. It is also easier for smaller nations to compete in 7s.

Looking forward to it in the Olympics.

4. Boom_70

Yes Canada had a nice run. I too prefer league but think 7's is perfect format
    for Olympics. I think that it will be one of those sports that really catches on
    in Olympic format if they do a good job of explaining it in telecasts.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Still a little shaky on the rules, mainly because I don't get a chance to watch it much. I've watched much more cricket and I have a decent grasp of the rules and the strategy.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

As a slow-of-foot prop, I prefer 15s.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I watch the final match on mute while working out. Had no idea what some of the calls were for. The fact that the clock runs while they kick the 2 pointer seems strange given the short game time.

8. Smallpotatoes

I think the conversion has to be taken within a certain amount of time. Each half also ends when the ball first becomes dead after time expires so the game could go on for several minutes after time expires.

9. Boom_70

Scoring after clock runs out does not make for a good betting sport. USA
    scored a late try on Sunday after clock ran out . Would have blown the over / under.

I only was able to understand after I played for a few years. It's really a great
    sport. 7's makes for perfect Olympic format because of quick timeframe for matches.

When I've tried to explain the game to people I start by telling them to think of
    football with no downs, a constantly changing line of scrimmage and no forward
    pass. Like soccer play is continuous and clock does not stop. A "try" is like
    a touchdown. After a try, extra point kick is called a conversion. Kick is taken in line
    from where try was scored, so obviously the closer to center , the better the angle is
    for kicking the conversion.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

7's is a game for the playground or gym class. There is nothing to it. Like telling people flag football is the same as the NFL.

11. Boom_70

Somewhat true but format is perfect for the Olympics. Action is as good
    if not better than beach volley ball or handball.

12. Smallpotatoes

When I played in college, 7s was something you played during the summer between the spring and fall 15s seasons.
    Now it seems to be an entirely different discipline than 15s.
    Sevens is fun to watch and with games lasting just 14 minutes (20 for the finals), it's more TV-friendly than 15s.
    I just like 15s because it's a more inclusive game where don't have to be built like a gazelle to play.
    In other words, I'm slow and nobody will ever mistake me for a gazelle.

Draft saved Draft deleted