1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rudy tosses his Yankee cap in the ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 13, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm with Patchs on the shooting and the assault.

All the officers in the shooting were acquitted within days of the change of venue.
    All (at least the two main offenders) the officers in the assault were tried, convicted, sentenced. The main offender got 30 freaking years. Maybe that's justice. Maybe it's not. But the guilty were punished.

As for the fuckin', well, he might be fucked.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

- The best speakers to run for prez (including Clinton), thankfully got nowhere near a nomination - Sharpton, Keyes & Buchanan. They're all nuts, butthey sure can speak.

- McCain is a moderate depending on what you mean by the term. He's ticked off alot of conservatives by forcing an unconstitutional law through (the SC can be wrong).

-What if we dont think the Bush administration did anything like that?

Maybe no one cared because he saw the error in his ways & corrected it. We're a forgiving nation if you admit & confront your mistakes. Kerry never did either.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Item: Exit polls showed New York voters favoring Hillary over Rudy by 20 points in a hypothetical election. Rudy has no base.
    Item: No New York mayor in 100 years has even won a statewide election, forget national.
    Item: The man wore a dress on Saturday Night Live.

Giuliani has 100 percent name recognition and his 9/11 performance (no small thing), and that's it. I just don't see the guy slogging through the snows of New Hampshire and Iowa. If he runs, I predict he'll get lots of love from Republican audiences, but not so many votes.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

If I were Giuliani, I'd leave well enough alone, live off the 9/11 legacy, and ride into the sunset. Another election would dredge up all of the personal stuff, not to mention the pre-9/11 problems that would have dogged him as a candidate (specifically, his tenuous relationship with the first amendment).

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

For those of you living in NYC, remember what Rudy's popularity was on 9/10/01. He wouldn't have been elected as a dog catcher here. He's a bright guy, a great speaker and good leader, but he makes a lot of enemies and refuses to budge. There wasn't a bridge or tunnel left for him to burn. He would have been killed by Clinton in 2000 had he been able to stay in the race.

I won't knock the public face that he put on after 9/11, but what makes him a terrorism expert? The fact that his city was attacked? I just don't get that. There are a lot of people (myself included) who won't forgive him for his support of Bush in 2004, including the patently false "Thank God that George Bush is our President" line at the convention.

He has no foreign policy experience, some dodgy personal issues and his ties with Bernie Kerik will be a real problem (Kerik is probably praying for him not to run). If he chooses not to run, he'll always have his seats right by the Yankee dugout, a ton of money from his new consulting business and his tables at Elaine's and Club Macanudo.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey, when you're angling for the 2008 gig, you'll say or do anything.

[​IMG]

(Found this on a site so far to the right that it makes Hondo look like a pussy-ass libby)

7. He doesn't really want to talk about 9/11 -- putting the city's emergency response center in a bullseye that had already been attacked once, why the fire and police couldn;t talk to each other, why he covered with Whitman for the bad air, the unspeakable Mr. Kerik. He wants to talk being the guy on 9/11 who didn't freeze in the classroom or hide in the hole, and the WH political apparatus is going to love that.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree he has a legit chance and I agree that it helps that his warts have been out there for some time now... I just wonder if rehashing all of it will hurt him in the south and midwest...

I prefer McCain to Giuliani, but I'd be very happy if Rudy was the next POTUS.

9. Uh, why?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

McCain is definitely a moderate. So is Giuliani...

If I'm not mistaken, both are pro-choice. McCain has been playing a little more conservative than usual lately, but I think he's just doing what he has to to get elected. He's been critical of the current administration.

But the democrats on this board seem to think every Republican is a huge George W. Bush fan.

It's clearly not the case...

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A couple of interesting tidbits from this article that appeared yesterday:
    http://wcbs880.com/topic/ap_news.php?story=AP/APTV/State/NY/n/NY--Bloomberg-2008_o_n_0ny--

- Mayor Bloomberg enjoys astonishing approval ratings that have hovered around 70 percent in the year since his re-election, but a Quinnipiac University survey released Tuesday found that even his admirers aren't sure his success can translate nationally. The poll found that just 35 percent of New York City voters said they ``definitely'' or ``probably'' would vote for him if he ran for president, while 56 percent said they would not. Meanwhile, 62 percent said it was doubtful he could win.

- New York is already churning out its share of potential candidates even without Bloomberg. Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton is considering a run while outgoing Gov. George Pataki and former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, both Republicans, are also sizing up their chances. As to whether any of them would make a good president, New Yorkers rated Clinton the highest, with 67 percent saying she'd be ``great'' or ``good.'' Bloomberg slightly beat Giuliani on that scale, with 44 percent compared with his 41 percent. Pataki scored the lowest with 19 percent.

And for those that need to know the details...
    The poll questioned 1,314 New York City registered voters last week and has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.7 percentage points.

12. His substantive criticism of this administration is almost impossible to find. Please do so if you can.
    McCain is a solid pro-lifer. Always has been. Always will be. That he doesn't seem obsessed by it is often given by his acolytes as proof that he's somehow "moderate" on the subject, which is a perfect example of how people see in McCain what they want to see, and not what he truly is. And on the very important issue of the president's powers, he's worse than the incumbent and almost as bad as Giuliani would be.

Draft saved Draft deleted