1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rudy tosses his Yankee cap in the ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 13, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Trust me Pope, Rudy will implode long before 2008.
    Somewhere on the campaign trail, the Giuliani temper will just erupt and he'll make a fool of himself when he gets a question he doesn't like.
    He is, among other things,a condescending prick.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If a temper is enough to rule you out, Romney will waltz to the nomination.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually, the message is going to be, "Elect a guy who REALLY knows how to fight terrorism." And I am betting you all are underestimating how much that is going to resonate.

I don't think he stands a chance. The Christian loony wing of the party won't go for him, but he has two things in his favor: 1) The perception that he was a strong leader after 9/11, and 2) The reputation of being a fiscal conservative who runs a tight ship. Argue whether those things are true, but those are the perceptions of the man.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I hope Newt runs because he would make the primary debates very interesting. No one can deny that he is whip-smart and thinks well on his feet. He can't win the nod, but he would make the primaries fun.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If you take away the fact that he's virtually unelectable, he's a great candidate.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Romney and Guiliani have another thing in their favor, also. They both are very good speakers. A guy who is good on the stump is going to be more important in 2008 than it has been in the last few presidential elections. And Guiliani is a very effective public speaker. It is also what is making Obama look attractive to the democrats right now.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Exactly. And I think Newt knows that, but there are some issues he wants to talk about and he wants to be relevant again. If I'm one of the front-runners, facing a Newt Gingrich with nothing to lose is a very scary prospect.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I have always found it difficult to watch Giuliani speak...and it has nothing to do with Chris Farley crawling over the lectern.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Rudy's an effective public speaker, but wait until the Dems trot out the names "Abner Louima" and "Amadou Diallo." There's no way he can tap dance around that issue.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The last two presidential elections have had three of the all-time worst (four if you count Nader) public speakers in American political history.

My enduring image of Gore is still a pull-string doll with a robotic voice. Kerry was, inexplicably, worse than that. Bush ... well, don't get me started on the "nu-cu-lar" prez. My god, if you can't even talk like you had more than an eighth-grade education, you should never be elected. Ever. To anything.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think Rudy can tapdance around just about anything. Not a complement, necessarily, but to follow what Ragu says, he's the best public speaker to (potentially) run for President since Clinton.

And I wasn't even thinking of the Democrats pulling out that artillery. I was thinking of his opponents in the primary doing so...as well as exploiting his active life of infidelity.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Jesus... he has a lisp.

Draft saved Draft deleted