1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rudy swings at Obama; Barack strikes back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Nice to see Obama call Rudy on the carpet for being a hypocrite. He won't meet with them, but he's been willing to accept millions of dollars from Hugo Chavez? Nice.

Giuliani Tells Obama 'You're No Reagan'

By LIBBY QUAID | Associated Press Writer
    12:19 AM CDT, October 17, 2007

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani on Tuesday ridiculed Democratic rival Barack Obama for saying he would meet, without precondition, with leaders of renegade nations.

The Obama campaign answered back, arguing that Giuliani may not want to engage in diplomacy with outlaw leaders but he's been willing to take their money.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/sns-ap-giuliani-obama,1,6963292.story?coll=chi_home_top

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I thought you didn't like political threads. Shouldn't you be trying to find a decent player or two for your fantasy team? :)

3. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

It seems like every time someone takes a shot at Obama, he fires right back with something better.

I'm not saying he's won my vote, but damn, is he slick (in a good way, not the "used car salesman slick" kinda way).

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Oooh! A law firm represents an oil company. How completely unusual!

As far as Obama striking back, it's not much more than a foul back off the screen.

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Unusual, no. But regardless, Obama picks a point that makes Giuliani look like a hypocrite. I doubt Reagan -- who is Rudy's idol, apparently -- was taking big money from Brezhnev and other Soviet leaders while he was stacking missiles in European cities so he could "negotiate."

It's a loop-hole in Rudy's argument, and Obama found it. He's politickin'.

6. old_tony

Problem is, the Soviet Union didn't have an oil company operating in the states back then. And it's not like Rudy is taking huge campaign contributions from this subsidiary of Venezuelan oil. A law firm he works for represents it. And I don't think Rudy is anything but out on leave of absence from the law firm right now, so Rudy's not really even getting any money from it.

Obama took a big swing. And, like I said, he fouled it back off the screen at best.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The debate's never been about what Rudy is.

The conversation, as always, is about the price.

8. CJ didn't mention an oil company. He didn't mention businesses operating in the US. He said "taking big money from."
    Please do better.

9. old_tony

Wow. Just wow. You, apparently, can't read.

The whole "took big money from" isn't about Rudy getting contributions from the Venezuelan nut. Not even close. The only money they're talking about is attorney fees to the firm that Rudy is connected to -- and do you really think he's working there right now? -- for representing the oil company with ties to Venezuela.

Please do better, indeed.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

And if it was Hillary instead of Rudy, and everything else about this was the same, that would be your reaction, too. Right?

11. "Took money from" is CJ's respone to your formulation, or that of one of the other voices in your head.
    Find one that works for you, OK?
    It's getting crowded up there.

12. old_tony

Yes. Law firms represent companies operating legally in the US. That is exactly what's going on here. If it was Hillary it would be as much of a non-story as it is with Rudy.

So, once again ... "The pitch to Obama ... fouled back to the screen, and the count remains 0-2."

Draft saved Draft deleted