1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rudy: "I'm one of the four or five best known Americans in the world."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

One of the things I like best about Guiliani is his move throwing out Arafat, this is an easier call.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The guy wanted to lay a wreath on the site not do an Ocho Cinco endzone dance. Hell, maybe he'd realize that funding terror is wrong after visiting Ground Zero.
    I may be gullible or naive, but I think the U.S. needs to start reaching out to other countries with words instead of through force.
    And it looks like the only way the U.S. is going to unite the Iraqis is if they end up united AGAINST the U.S.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

We can agree to disagree.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The president of Iran had nothing to do with 9/11. If you're not going to let a world leader visit what he wants to visit, then don't be petty and just don't invite him. Either choice is shitty diplomacy in a world that could use good diplomacy, but at least the latter is not a half-measure.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Personally, I'm not a fan of either guy. But I do remember pictures of Arafat giving blood on Sept. 11th, FWIW.

And a real leader would release a statement saying he's glad that Ahmadinejad wants to visit Ground Zero, to see what happened there, and while he's at it encourage him to visit Dachau and Auschwitz next time he's in Europe, to see what happened there, as well.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Off the top of my head:
    Brittany Spears
    Madonna
    Tiger Woods
    Elvis
    Landon Donovan
    George H.W. Bush
    Jimmy Carter
    Hillary Clinton
    Condi Rice

David Hasselhoff
    Rudy Giuliani

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm amazed so many people are giving Ahmedinejad enough credit to think he's being genuine.

This is a guy who's regime sponsors more terroristic acts than anyone else, in an effort to get our troops killed. Hell, my first thoughts were he'd lay it there to honor the scumbags who flew the planes into those buildings, not because he gives one rat's ass about the American lives lost.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's not a question of being convinced of the man's altruism so much as it's a question of diplomacy.

What are the worst-case scenarios if he goes (and, BTW, I'm not sure which mechanism you use to not let him go, in any case) or if he doesn't go.

Worst case if he goes, he makes an offensive statement and the entire world is further convinced the guy's a nut and an asshole.

Worst case if you stop him from going...?

Wars have been fought over less.

Anywhoo, I brought the whole thing up for the line about Rudy, anyway.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Precisely. She's Canadian.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Before opening this thread, I thought, "What, just because of that movie?"

11. This is how a real Republican behaved, one that wasn't invested in making his country as chickenshit of the rest of the world as he is. Please note the source.

http://www.spectator.org/blogger.asp?bwd=38&byear=2007#8273

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

"I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal."

Draft saved Draft deleted