1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rudy Giuliani on 9-11, five years after

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Sep 11, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2006/09/we_cannot_let_d.html#more

Hope everyone reads this with an open mind.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't agree with everything Rudy says, but it's still a good column. Thanks for pointing it out Hondo.

3. Gee, Rudy Giuliani admires Vladimir Putin.
    Who'd have guessed?
    Anyway, other people disagree.
    http://www.prospect.org/web/page.ww?section=root&name=ViewWeb&articleId=11973

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Think of all the trouble Rudy saved by ridding NYC of all of the terrorists who were masquerading as homeless people and badgering motorists with squeegees on street corners.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There's enough blame to go around for everyone for not being better prepared for 9-11. You also could argue that no one could conceive the evil that would hijack planes and fly them into buildings. But Giuliani's response after 9-11 was a textbook case of grace and courage under pressure.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Man, I accidently clicked on that 911 was an inside job ad. That's some freaky scary shit.

7. No argument -- except that the NSA knew of plots to fly hijacked airliners into both the Eiffel Tower and the G-8 summit earlier that year. "Nobody could have imagined" is, well, wrong. However, that doesn't mean I want to hand an obvious authoritarian like Rudy Giuliani the keys to the intelligence community and the FBI.
    Not a chance there.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

What exactly did he do to demonstrate "grace and courage under pressure"? Maybe I'm jaded because the guy had burned every bridge in this city by 9/10/01 and has been dining off of 9/11 for the past five years, including that ridiculous "Thank God George Bush is our President" line during the '04 election, but what did he do which was so wonderful.

9. He was THERE. And he was there from minute one. I'm no fan of the guy, but he was the closest thing we had to a national leader for about 12 hours.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Can you imagine what NYC would've been like with someone clueless (i.e. David Dinkins) in charge? OBL definitely would've come back for seconds, thirds and fourths.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He was there because his command center was in WTC 7.

I remember him walking to his command center with his nose covered so as not to breathe in debris.

And I remember a pretty good speech he gave that day.

And that, really, is all I remember from this hero from that day.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Good thing, too, because in the months leading up to 9/11, his public attacks on his soon to be ex-wife during their divorce showed him to be nothing but the biggest schmuck on the planet.

Draft saved Draft deleted