1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ruby Tuesday: Should I bother?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OTD, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Yeah, what's this platonic shit?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

His favorite drink: gin and platonic

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ruby Tuesday's retooled the menu and went for an upscale look.

It sucks.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ruby Tuesday . . . "upscale"

Oxymoron.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Naw, that was her favorite. He wanted scotch and sofa.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My daughter manages a Ruby Tuesday. I tried hard not to but I pretty much gagged when she called to tell me. "Daddddddd," she said in her exasperated voice, "it's not like that joke of a restaurant near the house. They're changing things."

She's right. I've been in to see her and eat about 10 times. Upscale? No. Better? Yes. Much better. Decent variety on the menu, reasonable prices. The salad bar is always very full and very fresh.
    Would I go out of my way to eat at any other RT? Probably not. But it isn't hard to handle eating and visiting my kid. I always order extra so she can stop by and nibble if she gets time. Been in there with my wife, my wife and son, myself and with friends.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Salad bar IS solid, you're right. But not at 8.99 as a stand alone...
    They scaled back the menu and not impressed with the choices that were left. They tried to go one up from a Fridays or Bennigan's or Chili's and in this case, less is not more.
    One by me changed the interior, from things like local sports heroes from back in the day with newspaper clips and photos that I thought were cool. Last time we went, it was all gone -- the menu had changed and the prices were too high.
    Rarely say this about a restuarant, but we won't be going back to any of them...

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's a lot of dining guest combos Moddy. Have you tried Dog / sons Girlfriend/ Boss ? 2 coworkers/ 2nd cousin / dentist?

I think Ruby is the best of the sit down chains. Their Triple prime burger is the one to have for that once a month red meat feast. Their bison burger is very good also.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Friday's . . . Ruby's . . . Houlihan's . . . go for the throat on their menu prices (vis a vis what you get) . . . Friday's is couponing more than usual, no doubt given the economy . . . Houlihan's
    non-Happy Hour bar prices are absurd. You can drink in New York
    for parallel money, and get a measure of genuine ambience.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I run with a varied crowd.
    Haven't been in with son's girlfriend yet. Or mine. Not ready to spring her on my daughter. No co-workers yet and the dog died, so that wouldn't make for a very pleasant dining experience.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Still I'm gonna miss you.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My sister was the Waitress Manager at the original RT, located on Cumberland Ave in Knoxville -- opened sometime in the late 70s or so, then became an anchor restaurant at the World's Fair there.

FWIW, she won't eat there anymore.

IIRC, RT was the first restaurant w/ a salad bar.

Draft saved Draft deleted