1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rubicon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Oct 13, 2010.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Is anyone else watching this show? There were a few slow episodes, but the show has picked up. I'm happy that I decided to stick with it. I believe the season finale is Oct. 17.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I DVR'd the thing and am very glad I did. Watching two eps at a time helps (kind of like The Wire) since there are multiple strands. Don't know what it is about cable shows, but they seem to have a greater appreciation for framing shots - the scenes with the Brooklyn Bridge in the background, the shadows, the sunlight - not to mention creepy Arliss Howard - really good stuff.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Love it. In a way, I would have preferred that last week's episode would have been the finale -- if they ended with Spangler's evil smile and Will crying, it would have been true to the series.

The cast is great -- Kale and Spangler are both fantastic. Everyone at API is interesting.

One of my offices is about a block from API's offices, and they do a wonderful job using the cavernous and depressing nature of the area. It is such a well shot series.

I wonder if they wished they could have a mulligan on the first episode. Not quite buying the Katherine storyline (and what happened to the kids that she was playing with when her husband shot himself). Her whole plotline was so strange -- she spent weeks wandering around her husband's secret townhouse sipping wine (and why did he have the secret townhouse anyway?).

Also, Will's wife and kid dying in the WTC seems a little on the nose.

4. HeinekenMan

Most of the characters are great. A few are lame caricatures. I don't care for the lady with the drug problem. I am just glad that we know what's up now. I feared this was going to be like LOST. I suspected that we would never know the truth. Now they've established a sound premises, and we have a great bit of tension to carry us into the next season (if it is extended).

I tend not to like it when shows try to pull too much from the real world. The whole WTC thing bothers me for that reason. I would prefer that she was in a simple car accident and that there was no mention of Al-Qaida or John Walker Lindh. But that happens with a lot of shows these days. So I swallow hard and tolerate it.

I have been wondering about those kids, too. The show started really slowly. For the past few episodes, I don't think we've seen the retired API dude. I would expect him to have a key role in the last-minute scramble that just took place. But he was MIA.

5. NDub

NDub Guest

Yeah, I've been watching this show since the series premiere. I love it. Even when it was "slow," I enjoyed the character development.

I gotta disagree with HeinekenMan regarding LOST, but that's a different post.

I haven't once thought about bailing on Rubicon this season. And I'm so glad I stuck around. The past two episodes have been incredibly revealing and, at times, fast-paced.

All of the characters are interesting, yet we only know them a bit past their surface, aside from Will. But that's expected. Kale (who's the actor? he's awesome) is my favorite. I think Spangler rocks, too. It's too bad he's apparently the bad guy.

Definitely looking forward to the finale.

6. DanOregon

Kale is played by Arliss Howard. Such a creepy character. I never trust a guy over 40 who wears tight clothes. You might remember Howard as Pvt. Cowboy in Full Metal Jacket.

7. Webster

Within the context of the show, it isn't realistic that Spangler would be arrested. Then again, if there is a season 2, how could Will and Kale continue to work with him?

My gut is that Spangler is killed next week, maybe by Kale, maybe by one of the boyhood friends, or even the guy working for him who was following Will (on behalf of the boyhood friends or Kale). The circle of evil breaks up and Kale gets the top job.

8. HeinekenMan

That's a possibility. Something has to happen that changes the game now.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Been watching from the start and have really enjoyed it.

But only look at the onscreen guide for the finale if you want to be spoiled.

My only hope is that AMC doesn't pull the plug and fires up a second season because the last few episodes of Rubicon have been among the best things on TV so it seems like the show has found its groove.

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I think it's been a fascinating ride. Especially playing off the whole theme of the government not really running things but a small band of rich, powerful men at the helm. I love Kale, what a great character. I think the Katherine thing is interesting as she's the most interesting woman in the show. I'd imagine those kids were her grandkids but that's just a guess. Clearly, that was the second marriage late in life and she was the trophy wife. So they probably wouldn't have had kids.

11. DanOregon

I don't know. I expected more. They tied things off pretty well, but I wonder if they keep the Atlas Co. thing next season (I'm assuming there will be one since they are promoting Rubicon in conjunction with The Walking Dead), or go more into the David Hadas stuff.

I'm betting the season starts off with Will teaching somewhere before he gets dragged back to API. Could have used more Kale in the finale.

12. Webster

I really was let down (not the only finale on AMC which caused those feelings).

I thought that having Andy part of the conspiricy was silly. Katherine's storyline baffled me. If she was in danger (and based on the DVD, it was probably made right before his death), why not just provide for her protection instead of the silliness of the clues.

I agree that there was not enough Kale, which didn't really make any sense.

I guess that the 4 leaf clover means that your choice is to kill yourself or be ruined? But is Truxton going to buy into that given his ego.

If this was it, they left it on a sour note.

Draft saved Draft deleted