1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RTDNA poll results determine best journalism school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ralph Smith, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith New Member

Rejoice, for they made the appropriate choice.

http://rtdna.org/article/survey_the_top_20_journalism_schools

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What's the best school for learning how to be a telegraph operator?

Same career outlook.

3. joe

joe Active Member

I don't know if Mizzou is the best, but I found MU grads at every place I worked, from Missouri to Kentucky to Illinois to California. And there were Mizzou grads at places I turned down: Fayetteville NC, Bradenton and Maui.

Except for my first job where I was a reporter/editor/designer, I was a copy editor and designer the rest of my career. I've been out of newspapers since 2008, but now I write freelance for an attorney's newsletters and do the occasional magazine writing. Even though the money is sporadic, I wouldn't go back to a newspaper job if it was offered.

I did my time, and now I'm free. I'd rather tend bar than write up another prep roundup and cost some kid his scholarship.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, Joe, I hear ya. You are certainly not alone.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know that I've ever worked with anyone who went to Arizona State. Other than the Electronic Journalism school in Vermont, I don't think there are any other real surprises on the list.

During my career, the schools that most of the people I worked with were Missouri, Northwestern, North Carolina, Ohio, Florida, Colorado, Kansas, Indiana, Syracuse, Georgia, Berkeley and Columbia...

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Cronkite churns out many more graduates in broadcast than in print.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That makes more sense.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And all of them were insufferable, right?

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, the media as an entity in America is really dying. Print, broadcast, Web, all of it.

Ironically, now that newspapers have cut down to the bone and are still making reasonable profits in many places, it'll stabilize and, in some markets grow. It's merely a shame that, all those years ago, Gannett and other chains swallowed up so many shops. Because it's given the impression the market is dead when, in reality, it's just a handful of companies that choose to run it a certain way.

I never knew a lot of people who worked in journalism for the money. I knew terrific journalists who lived in rather modest houses, where their kids even occasionally did something as scandalous as share rooms.

The fairly-unrestrained, somewhat reckless expansion in the early 1990s -- I suppose it continued throughout the decade -- was a pendulum swing too far in one direction. It swung, obviously, much too far in the other direction. But journalists were never supposed to live, eat and work like even regional rock stars.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Alma, I think it's evolved into a mirror of the overall economy. A few guys and gals at the top with TV gigs or radio talk shows making more than sportswriters ever did in history, and a big base at the bottom not being paid enough to live on in anything approaching middle class life.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's fair.

12. silent_h

silent_h Member

Agreed. I often told my students that journalism was simply ahead of the overall American economic curve.

Draft saved Draft deleted