1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RTC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Aug 6, 2009.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Is anybody noticing how slow the Regional Toning Center has been the last few days? It's about to drive me nuts. It's taking half an hour to get a damn mug back. Of course mugs are cropped so tightly, they look like shit.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I never let them crop anything. I send the mug full size and re-size it myself before placing.

3. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I started doing that today. I e-mailed them about it, and they blamed it on more photos coming in due to football season preseason stuff. Should be interesting to see what happens on Friday nights.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I tell them their problems are not my concern.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What I wish I could tell many people at my shop.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Well, they only have one job. Their scheduling issues are not my concern. If they were in my shop, I would be toning my own photos and not thinking twice about it.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

The what?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you're talking about the RTC, it's a Gannett thing where one location in Iowa adjusts all of the photos for print and online. At least that's what I've read.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

How does that help things? I only hear complaints about the RTC.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't think it helps things at all. It's just a way to save money by hiring someone who just adjusts photos all day. I wouldn't expect that job to pay more than $9-$10 an hour.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You mean like how they try to save money in the circulation department by having our customers call a regional center called "The Center For Excellence?"

They charge us $38,000 and don't open 'till 10 a.m.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A year ago we had four imagers at our paper. Now we have one. To compensate, our photo system has a way to automatically tone photos.

All the photo editors scoff at the quality of the toning the machine does. But I can't tell a damn bit of difference once it hits newsprint.

Draft saved Draft deleted