1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royce Waltman out at Indiana State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by david kaye, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Probably too much of a lateral move for Brownell, but he would be good if he could be had. He has stronger ties to Evansville and might go for that opening.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'd imagine Evansville will be looking strongly at both Brownell and Marty Simmons (D2 SIU-Edwardsville). Both have strong local ties.

3. trounced

trounced Active Member

Definitely stronger ties to Evansville, although I'm not sure that Evansville's a better job than Wright State, other than the conference. He can be the class of the Horizon along with Butler, and then just wait until a job in a power conference opens. Indiana should have hired him.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The only bugaboo about Simmons is that SIU-E is going Division I. He might want to stick around to see that through.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

True — however, it's also a 5-year transition. That's an eternity in coaching.

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Moser's gone too now.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2788311

Maybe it's time to go with the Valley designations on InSU and IlSU when talking about the searches.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Two for two on the firings! C-ya Porter! One thing on Simmons. He coached at my college for one year, before heading back to Evansville to be on Jim Crews' staff. If Edwardsville is planning on moving up to D-1 and the Evansville gig is open, does he want to head back for a third stint as a Purple Ace or stay where he's at?

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If he's offered the job (and big salary jump that comes with it) at UE, he'd be a fool to wait five years.

Draft saved Draft deleted