1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royals revoke credentials - UPDATED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Re: Royals revoke credentials

ballscribe,

The team didn't happen to have taken BP that day.

I think the posts here have been great, right on target, and I think 21's probably right-- the overwhelming majority of sports journalists probably supports the cause of access for all-- print or electronic media.

2. Simon

Simon Active Member

Both the reporters in question, do a good job especially Rhonda Moss. She asks tough questions and does a great job with the Chiefs.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

That's right. This site is not printsportsjournalists.com or radiosportsjournalists.com or tvscumsportsjournalists.com

We are all equal. Now, some print puke, go fetch me a beer.

;D

4. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I do support and respect what you do. Just fed up with getting my head cracked open by TV cameras in close quarters, with only the rarest of apologies forthcoming. ;D

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, ballscribe, on behalf of all of the TV people here...

You were probably in the way....

;D

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey, I love TV people. Some of my best friends are TV people. Luggie is in my top 10.

But we don't take our cameras in there.

There's no room.

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I'm not the biggest fan of sports-talk radio, but if anyone is denied access, two words come to mind:

Slippery slope.

For once, I agree with some of the doomsayers. I can see a lot of other teams starting to do this if KC gets away with it.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I would hope that the KC media would organize some sort of boycott of the Royals, even if for one game.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Keeping that crappy team out of the media might be doing the organization a favor.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Gotta tell you....it's been my experience that some ML managers will do an "informal" session before games and sometimes request that no cameras are there. The other option I've seen is to give TV types a chance to ask their questions at the beginning, then shut down the cameras and continue.

Reasons? I don't know. Sometimes it's been a manager who likes to swear a lot and doesn't feel comfortable doing that on camera. In this case, I'm talking about the casual conversational profanity that is common to some baseball types, like Whitey Herzog. "Never seen a fucker get as hot as that sumbitch is right now. You can't get the cocksucker out."

In a lot of cases, managers keep their offices open as a courtesy so you can pop in and ask if there's anything new on Joe Slugger's hamstring. Maybe that leads to something else and it becomes kind of an informal, I'm-just-thinking-out-loud-now bullshit session. If the manager muses that he'd just as soon put Joe on the DL and bring up Hot Phenom and play him for two weeks straight, I can at least write there's a school of thought within the organization that feels that way. I'm sure he doesn't say anything along those lines if there's a camera and a microphone present. My goal is to get as much information in print as I can, even if I can't quote or otherwise have direct attribution.

11. Re: Royals revoke credentials

the royals better have this cleaned up before the nba finals wrap up.... won't be pretty.

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Excellent comeback, my friend. ;D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.