1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royals revoke credentials - UPDATED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wow. i knew tv "journalists" were shallow... but you might wanna drop the "lugunts" and just go with "puddles."

2. Eddie Shore

Eddie Shore Member

You really are a soccer dad. I feel sorry for your kid.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

And you may want to utilize spell check.

;D

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

alma, for years most of your posts have been beyond my level of comprehension. (no back-handed insult intended). maybe i misinterpreted your post.

my point is that people who complain about the litigiousness of our society are part of the problem. it's a knee-jerk reaction, tantamount to the reaction some people have that they will sue any time they perceive that they've been wronged. give us a solution to the problem rather than moan about the existence of one or perpetuating the myth that most americans file lawsuits every day every time they are wronged. a third-grader can offer up the suggestion that we have an overly litigious society. the other reason people who file this complaint are part of the problem is that for every inane lawsuit that gets too much media attention, two dozen are filed that are extemely important to the parties involved. it's cheap, easy and too convenient to ignore this reality. it's the type of thing you'd expect from a local TV news 'reporter' -- all style, no substance (but technically true on some level).

(i guess this is a topic for another thread someday, but most people aren't aware that alternative dispute resolution is now mandatory in many major court systems. that's right -- parties are required to attend mediation before going to trial. and a whole other set of problems is our understaffed and ill-equipped court system which clogs up the system. if the state of florida budgeted a few million dollars every year for trial judges to have law clerks, judges would have far more time to actually hear cases rather than read crates of briefs prepared by lawyers. while we're at it, let's attack the billable hours paradigm, which needlessly results in litigation taking years to reach conclusion.)

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dude, She's one of the most well-reasoned, intelligent posters on this board and usually adds a great deal to any discussion she jumps into. I know that "all tv 'journalists' are shallow" fits into the simplistic all-or-nothing, think-only-in-absolutes kind of thinking that got wired into your brain at some point, but sometimes it would behoove you to start judging people individually, rather than lumping them into the simplistic (and often wrong) categories you settled on a long time ago.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Let's all say it for what it is - Jason spews out this crap so the focus of attention goes back on him.
    Notice he's managed to threadjack something about Kansas City that didn't involve him and turn it into how he can rescue this and how he can get things done?
    Jason, you wrote a pretty good column on this, that should have been enough.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

man, if that wasn't a typo, it's a helluva insult.

Great thing about Lugz is that she never fights fire with kerosene....she's one of the few here who can disagree without taking the low road. Do they teach that in journalism school?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

leo1,

You actually mention some common solutions to the wrong problem - how do we make lawsuits more efficient? I suggest the real problem is that we need to sue so much at all.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

whitlock,

I don't think you're racist. Or sexist. I don't think that would be possible for me to know, since I think you're a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Such is the lot of a hypocrite. Talent, no talent, it is all in aid of smoke you exhale to muddle the air of discussion. You are the equivalent of the Cosmo stories 26-year-old staffers write about fictional people saying fictional things about sex, work, life, death - you work off a false premise (that you're sincere) often to argue false premises. Your work is useful in the way it can be manipulated - hence my earlier post - in aid of a cause that, in an undetermined period from now, you will align yourself against. Another analogy: Your work is that which college debators could reasonably quote on the affirmative and negative sides, sometimes in the same column.

It works as gadfly journalism, and, on certain occasions, your work is so terrifically selfish and phony that it achieves a kind of grandeur. I don't question your influence or pull - I know you have it - nor do I deny the balsa wood that undergirds it. I can only say it appeals to the ugliest kind of intellectualism, that it is not affirming, but distracting, and whatever movement your work creates swirls more destructive forces than creative ones. It's base, not truth. Period. As so are so many of your posts here.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

What he said.

(What did he say?)

11. Eddie Shore

Eddie Shore Member

Jeez, there's a lot going on in this thread.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Whitlock's a Republican? Who knew?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.