1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royals revoke credentials - UPDATED AGAIN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Two reporters who asked contentious questions at a news conference introducing Dayton Moore as Royals general manager had their credentials revoked Friday. <cm-bd>¶
    Bob Fescoe of WHB and Rhonda Moss of KCSP, competing sports-talk radio stations in Kansas City, said they were informed by public relations director Aaron Babcock that their credentials were taken away. <cm-bd>¶
    Both said when they asked Babcock why the team had taken the action, he said he didn’t know. <cm-bd>¶
    David Witty, the Royals vice president for communications and marketing, said the credentials were withdrawn for the remainder of the season. He declined further comment when reached by The Associated Press. <cm-bd>¶
    “All I can say is their credentials were revoked. That’s all I will say,” Witty told the AP. <cm-bd>¶
    Chad Boeger, the president of WHB, couldn’t immediately be reached. Allan Davis, operations manager for Entercom, the parent company of KCSP, declined comment. <cm-bd>¶
    Fescoe and Moss have reputations for asking tough, confrontational questions of players and management of the Royals and Kansas City Chiefs, teams they cover on a full-time basis. Fescoe is also co-host of a sports talk show for three hours every weekday morning. <cm-bd>¶
    At the news conference Thursday, the two grilled owner David Glass on the way he handled the dismissal of former general manager Allard Baird. <cm-bd>¶
    Glass appeared to become irritated and told Moss at one point that her assessment of the situation was “completely wrong.” <cm-bd>¶
    Moss has covered the Royals for KCSP for almost three years. Also during the news conference, she appeared to rankle Dan Glass, the team president and owner’s son, when she asked him what his role was in running the baseball operations. <cm-bd>¶
    Moss said she called Major League Baseball and was told nothing could be done. <cm-bd>¶
    “They said it’s up to the individual teams,” she said. “I’m not done with this. It’s far from over.” <cm-bd>¶
    Fescoe, 29, has covered the Royals since June 2003. <cm-bd>¶
    “Rhonda and I were pulled on the same day, obviously because of the questions we asked at the Dayton Moore news conference,” Fescoe said. “As far as I’m concerned, I’m a reporter. I’m out there trying to find out the story of what’s going on.” <cm-bd>¶

2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

Re: Royals revoke credentials

don't the royals have bigger problems than this?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You mean this team isn't begging for attention right now?

4. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

If the Kansas City journalism community doesn't unite and do something about it, then I'm embarrassed for our industry. Actually, I already am: look at how they didn't unite for Bush's question-dodgings.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hey, if we're to believe Colin Cowherd, radio talk-show hosts aren't journalists anyway. Sooooo...

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

so i'm guessing they'll miss the royals' pennant drive.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For the most part, they're not.

But simply on the basis of the foot-in-the-door precedent this sets, the KC journalistic community needs to come down on this with 10 tons of bricks. Try cutting them off cold for a whole home stand. No stories, no photos, no coverage, nothing.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wonder what Whitlock thinks of this? Lead the charge, Jason!

9. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

I was wondering what happened in that news conference when Bob Dutton referered to the tension in his main story today. I figured that Dutton wasn't the only one because I doubt he would promote himself like that.

The Royals are a joke.

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

As opposed to 10 tons of feathers.

11. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

I hope Posnanski uses this incident to again rip Glass a new one. His columns over the last month have been great on this topic.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

was one of these Whitlock's old station?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.