1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royal Wedding - who pays?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I thought they'd cut the Royal budget recently, to less than 10M pounds per year.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yep, on to the question of greater importance: How long until their sex tape comes out?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

PMs aren't Heads of State.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hitchens still has it in him to piss in the royal punch.

http://www.slate.com/id/2291497

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It looks like they invited the Governors General & the PMs from Commonwealth Nations.

But they also invited folks like the Crown Prince of Bahrain and the Sultan of Brunei.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Other crowned heads get invites, YF. Got to give the bridesmaids a chance to get lucky.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Good point. They did invite a bunch of other Royals -- including Royals from places like Greece & Romania that no longer have Royalty. But, they're European and mostly related to the British Royal Family.

I guess I didn't look at the rulers of some of the other countries as "Royalty" but if you look at it that way, then the guest list is consistent.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Was Tony Blair invited to Chelsea's?

That wedding list, or its omissions, created quite the stir in the beltway.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Rehearsal is going well.

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

If there ever is a White House wedding again, will the worldwide media go similarly gaga over it? Will it even come close?

I was in London when Reagan died in 2004 and the BBC covered that almost as extensively as the American media did. Can that be a valid comparison?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know... Diana's funeral got about as much coverage as anything I've ever seen here. Given how she died and everything she did for people around the world, I had no problem with that whatsoever.

Clinton will get Reagan level coverage when he dies. He deserves that. I think Clinton and Reagan are the only presidents from my lifetime that were beloved enough to merit that. I don't remember Nixon or Ford getting similar treatment and I don't think either Bush or Carter will be treated the same way and I don't have a problem with that. Time will tell with anyone else...

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When children of Presidents get married, in office or not, they control the show as freeborn American citizens. Jenna Bush wanted a quiet wedding, and as the bride, she got what she wanted, as per our society's rules.
    The royals don't have that option. Pomp and ceremony is their JOB.

Draft saved Draft deleted