1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royal Wedding - who pays?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, what else are we supposed to talk about, our fantasy teams?

As for me personally, I don't care about the wedding. But seeing that it's such a high-profile event, and amid reports of protests and who knows what else, I can't blame TV for sending people. God forbid something happens.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As a British taxpayer, my reaction can largely be summed up as "Meh, whatever." Would I rather my tax money be spent on something other than security for a posh wedding? Yeah, I would. But on the list of things to be annoyed about at this point in time, the wedding is pretty low.

As far as the actual costs, the royal family pays for the actual wedding, the horses, the carriages, blah blah blah, though, yes, it's not as though they have a source of income. The taxpayer picks up the cost of the security, cleanup, etc., though.

As for whether it draws tourists, who knows. I certainly know people who are considering going up there on the day, so they'll be bound to spend money on lunch, water, overpriced Union Jack hats, etc. From other parts of the world? Maybe, but they'll probably also be people, primarily, who would have gone to England at some point anyway. And I'm guessing there'll be a bit of an Olympic effect, where it chases away some of the crowd who would normally have come.

In the end, I have a day off work for it. That pretty much makes it a win in my book.

3. So is it a state holiday?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The royal family, weddings, funerals, divorces, travel and just plain living, costs the British taxpayer a bundle. It is perceived to be worth it because said family is a symbol of national unity, glorious past, etc. In short, it's the world's most expensive PR firm, making Britons feel good about being Britons.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's weird. They made it a bank holiday, but they didn't make it a mandatory bank holiday. Like today is Easter Monday, which means it's a day off, and we get paid for it. If you work, you get a day off in lieu. That's required. Force of law and everything.

For the wedding holiday, employers don't have to do that. Most will, because they don't want to look Scrooge-like. But they don't have to.

As for the actual wedding, I believe it's considered a "semi-state" occasion, because William is not first in line to the throne. Charles' wedding was a full state occasion.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Amen and amen.

These are a bunch of self-important inbreds.

I mean, just look at Prince Charles.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

NFL draft is coming up, right? Wonder how much taxpayers in the US are on the hook, total, for football stadia. Bet it's an order of magnitude higher than whatever the cucumber sandwich bill comes to, give or take an epaulet.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I like that you're saying amen to a point that you don't seem to understand.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, lots of foreign Heads of State were invited, but not our President. What gives?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They were worried he'd give them an iPod as a wedding gift.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I don't care enough to do a Google search but I would think that most of the heads of State that are going to be there are from governments that have are part of the Comonwealth.

The Aussie PM is probably there while the President of France is not.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Canuckistan PM Stephen Harper was invited but won't be going since the election is May 2.

Draft saved Draft deleted