1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royal Wedding - who pays?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 25, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm DVRing four channels (haven't figured out which four yet) and waking up at 4 a.m. on a race day to watch the live coverage.

I can't get enough of this shit. Pomp and circumstance. Bring it on!

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Plus, six percent times however many countries it is being simulcast in...

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

For free of charge, you can stand in the park and watch the newlyweds' parade recessional afterward. And as someone who has seen the royal family in person during one of their parades, it is quite the spectacle.

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

If this marriage works out, it'll preserve the Royal family for another couple of decades. But if it goes down the tubes (in the same nasty, imploding-in-public-way that happened with Charles and Diana), all bets are over.

The Windsors would have been better off with a quiet civil ceremony at the registry office (the rough, rough British version of the marriage bureau at the town hall.)

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges. We have a new president every eight years or fewer.

The Brits get a Royal wedding, what, every 30 years? Aren't William and Kate heirs to the British Monarchy, which dates back, what, 1,700 years? That's a pretty big deal for the country, even if they're only figureheads.

6. Enough of a spectacle to spend a few grand for a plane ticket and a days stay in England?

7. Big enough to spend millions in taxpayer funds?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For some people it is... For me? Fuck no... :D

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not a British taxpayer so I couldn't be troubled to give a toss.

10. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Yes. The Brits eat this shit up. So do a ton of Americans. I don't, but what the fuck. Your level of interest seems out of proportion to your professed level of interest.

Chicken dinner.

11. Why? Because I started a thread asking a question?

I don't care about the wedding. Do. Not. Care.
    But I am interested in English tax money being spent.
    I was reading or hearing something about the wedding and they said many Brits don't care. I suspect the average American - including this one - feels the same.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Am I the only one who sees irony in a bunch of sports journalists questioning the importance -- whether anyone "gives a shit" -- about the Royal wedding?

Draft saved Draft deleted