1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Royal Caribbean: Party on in Haiti

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 19, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100119/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1063

This is sickening. Whoever is responsible for this at Royal Caribbean should be dropped off in the streets of Port-au-Prince and left to fend for himself.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Or have to take a year-long "Cougar cruise" (read to bottom of the link).

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I understand the criticism, but supposedly Haiti wanted them to continue coming because jobs are dependent on it and it brings in revenue.

They were also able to bring in aid.

If Haiti is ever going to be able to rebuild, it needs to create jobs & tourism is a top industry throughout the Caribbean.

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

And that's punishment how, exactly? :)

Seriously... someone needs to tell Royal Caribbean that the old canard about there being no such thing as bad publicity isn't exactly true.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'll bet if they get a bunch of cancellations they'll change the corporate stance.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with this sentiment.

However, if I were on the cruise, I would think it's too early to be frolicking at Haiti.

I also question how many "relief supplies" the ships are really carrying.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think if I were on the cruise, I might just stay on the ship. It would be hard for me to "frolic".

I think I read a story saying that they dropped off food & water.

It's a regular stop for them. They have another ship getting there Friday. I think that ship will have more food & water.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Should they shut down the resorts in the Domican Republic also.

Labeedee is a dump. I would have had no problem if I were on that Cruise and RC did not stop.

9. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I did that cruise to Labadee a few years ago and I have been on several cruises and it was the worst stop I've been on. You're basically sequestered to a beach with locals selling stuff. We bought a "local craft" and got home and it had bugs in it.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've been to the Labadee stop, too. You could hardly call it Haiti. It's just a beach. You get your snorkel gear and swim around, you drink some green rum punch, you have a bite to eat , you visit the vendors, you get back on the boat and clean up for dinner.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Got off the launch took one look at the dump the call Labadee and took next launch back to boat. Best day spent with boat empty.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Let them eat cake!

Draft saved Draft deleted