1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

roy s. johnson: wilbon has heart attack

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by funky_mountain, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re: roy s. johnson: wilbon has mild heart attack

Thank you for explaining it in real medical terms, instead of my listening-to-doctors-three-times explanation. But I'll warn again, if something like this happens to you, and you don't change what you're doing, you will soon have an appointment with a chest spreader.

2. VJ

VJ Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/31/AR2008013103759.html

A great writer and from all accounts, a great man. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No question about it. But I can't stop wondering if a guy like him would heed a trusted doctor's advice to shut everything down for six months. You're at the top of your game -- on television every day, you've got the column, you're at every single big game in every sport. Can you make yourself walk away for six months? I read all that name-dropping in that column and wonder. And I'm trying not to slight Wilbon, who by all accounts is good people. I hope he's being honest with himself about this.

4. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

from wilbon's column:

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

His latest column is damn good. And scared the shit out of me. Motivation enough for even me to get healthy.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wilbon is the hardest working columnist in the country and in my opinion, it's not even close...

No big-time columnist travels 1/10th as much as he does...

I hope he's OK, he's definitely one of the good guys... Knowing him, he'll still be at the Super Bowl...

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

clear out might be better term, but yeah, angioplasty is designed to increase the blood flow

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

For all of his success, I give Wilbon credit for remaining hard-working even as his broadcast gigs have blossomed. I don't read him regularly enough to know if he has cut back on his frequency of writing for the Post (a la Kornheiser) -- if so, then maybe I would temper that first sentence a little bit.

But yes, he does seem to put in more hours than most. And he has stayed the same good guy that he was at the start.

9. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

He's on PTI today. Glad to see he's healthy enough to come back, not glad he didn't take more time off.

Is one week off really enough to recover from this?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What'd he do besides talk on TV for a half-hour? Is that taxing? Was he at the Super Bowl?

Sounds like the same ole Wilbon though. Good for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted