1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roy Oswalt: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Oswalt may be hitting the downside of his career. His worst three ERAs are in the last four seasons, he's coming off an injury, his Ks per nine and Hs per nine were the worst of his career.

He is certainly on the right path to a HOF career but it's still about five year's short.

And to get to Schilling's numbers, Oswalt needs 57 wins, 1,107 innings and 1,357 strikeouts.

Your asking a guy who will be 34 during next season to AVERAGE 221 IP (a total he hasn't reached since 2005) and 272 Ks (His career best is 208) for the next five years to get there.

2. doodah

doodah Guest

Can we please stop referencing wins by a pitcher please? It's rather embarrassing.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

No. Baseball statistics were not discovered in 1987.

Next ...

4. doodah

doodah Guest

I hope that's sarcasm.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What we know now about evaluating pitcher performance doesn't just serve as a useful tool from the date of that discovery forward. It applies retroactively.

In other news, the earth rotated around the sun before Galileo.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, then, we'll just mark you down for the Doodah School of Sabermetrics.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wins seem to just be shorthand for, "Pitched a long time."

I wish we had some more well-known innings milestones to use as a gauge. I think that the pairing of innings and ERA would be quite useful for better measuring the same thing that wins measure less precisely.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm not the biggest fan of wins as the prime indicator of pitcher worth either, but those who say it's meaningless go too far.

Every win is different for starting pitchers. There are those you didn't have to be at your best at to get when your team scores 10-plus runs, but there are other wins the pitcher definitively earned when he hold the opposing lineup to zero.

Too many people get caught up in the former example and ignore the latter.

My challenge to baseball researchers ... do the research and find the ratio between the runs allowed by a pitcher in his victories and what his team scored in those victories. Same for losses. Maybe that stat exists, I don't know.

Get to work buckweaver! :D

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In a career lasting at least 10 years (the Hall of Fame minimum), wins for a starter is not inconsequential, nor should it be the main standard. For relievers, especially closers, wins are a demerit.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Old people tend to embarrass themselves from time to time.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The baseball seamheads sing this song,
    Doo-da, Doo-da
    Baseball seamheads are never wrong
    Oh, de doo-da day

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Can we please stop using 'referencing' when we mean 'referring?'

Draft saved Draft deleted