1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roy Jones Jr is Old and After Tonight, Probably, Done

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Dec 2, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That's terrible.

The Russian even shrugs after it's over like, "Well, he gave me one more shot and should have stopped it."

Jones was great to watch in his prime. He needs to find something else to do to pay the taxes. Sell crack. Raise more roosters. Go flip burgers. But if he keeps fighting like that he'll be dead.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

What a sad, sad situation. It doesn't seem like that long ago when he was, pound-for-pound, the best boxer on the planet. Now, he looks like he'd be overmatched in a bar fight.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good god. I felt like I was watching the end of the Creed-Drago fight from Rocky IV.
    The ref was slow to step in, but he was coming and Jones was doing everything but throwing in the towel. Total cheap shot from the Russian.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

The ref wasn't coming, he was standing there like he was waiting patiently for the beating to stop. If he intended to get in there between Jones and the Russian, he needed to actually get in between them and wave it off or at least do something to make it seem like he was more than just an interested bystander.

I don't blame the Russian at all for throwing the last punch; if the fight's not over, the fight's not over.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Was it a 10-round fight? The ref might have been trying to see if Jones could hang on for those final few seconds. Even with a fighter as down and out as Jones was in that spot, the ref probably didn't want to stop the fight in the last 15 seconds.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

He should be able to come up with that without any problems.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Watch the clip again. Prior to the last punch, the Russian motioned for the referee to step in and stop it. When the ref did not do that, boxers are trained, drilled and trained again to keep fighting until the ref stops the fight.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He needs $10,000 for an accountant.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That was horrendous. Man, that ref needs to get a rep as a "killer." Jones is defenseless; isn't that the definition of when you stop a match? Really sad because I could see how Jones could have died right then.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

It looked like Smoger was starting to step in when he threw that last shot. But I still don't think it was a cheap shot because that's what fighters are supposed to do.

The real question is HOW THE FUCK does Jones get approved by the boxing commission to still fight? That is the travesty. I remember when Cosell quit boxing because he thought the brutality was out of hand, and that was 30 years ago. It is just getting worse and worse as boxing as a relevant sport goes spinning down the toilet. And that's a damn shame because I used to love it. Pay-per-view and the various boxing organizations have ruined the sport.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Roy got what he wanted, his ass kicked. Now, he should just be content on watching matches instead of being in them.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's what I believe some of you are still disagreeing with, and it's the truth. It's not the fighter's job to step away from the opponent and say, "I don't want to punch him anymore." It's the referee's job to throw his body between the two and wave the fight to a merciful end.

Draft saved Draft deleted