1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roy Jones Jr is Old and After Tonight, Probably, Done

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

He was the bigger name but Hopkins was the better fighter. Jones knew it and dodged him, which was his right. Every boxer on top knows that you don't go after hungry up and coming fighter as an opponent.
    Now, father time has kicked both of them in the ass. Hopkins won Wednesday but it wasn't the Hopkins of old. And Roy, well, we all know what happened to him.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Worst decision I have seen in 30+ years of watching boxing.

3. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Roy just got brutally KOed by Denis Ledbedev in Russia. The KO happened with about ten seconds left in the tenth and final round.

http://www.boxingscene.com/denis-lebedev-with-brutal-ko-roy-jones-tenth--39425

4. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

It seems to be a theme this weekend. Former UFC champion Dan Severn, still fighting at fifty-two, got brutally KOed last night. Severn was going for his 100th win.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/5/21/1608965/dan-severn-denied-100th-win-knocked-out-badly-in-the-process

5. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

The Jones' KO is already up on YouTube.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, Jones needs to stop before he gets killed. And was it too much to ask the ref to step in before the Russian got that last free shot in?

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

In Russia...joke stumps you. I got nothing.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I wasn't making a joke. The ref was slow to stop the bout, giving Jones' opponent one last free shot at his noggin.

9. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

It has been reported that Roy owes $3.5 million dollars in taxes.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/taxingdetroitblog/index.php?category=Boxers

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Steve Smoger has always been one to let fighters take a beating.
    I've always felt it was bullshit, but most fighters do not want a fight to be stopped as long as they're standing. A lot of fans feel ripped off if a fight is stopped when a guy is on his feet, too.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that was some kind of parting shot. And those Russians were acting like the guy just knocked out Ali in his prime. Ugh.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Ledbedev even looked at the ref for a second before he threw the punch, as if to say, "You're really letting this continue?"

Draft saved Draft deleted