1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roy Jones Jr is Old and After Tonight, Probably, Done

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Tonight (Australian Time) Roy Jones Jr. took on Danny Green in Sydney. Danny Green can hit, and Roy Jones is forty. Even the great ones get old.

The fight lasted a round. After twenty years and numerous world titles it looks like the boxing career of Roy Jones Jr. is finally over.

The full fight…

Roy Jones Jr. Vs Danny Green (December 2, 2009) (Acer Arena) (Sydney, New South Wales, Australia)(IBO International Boxing Organisation cruiserweight title)

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nine out of 10 people didn't even realize he was still fighting.

3. mb

mb Active Member

Since the fight was in Australia, does that mean his career circled the drain clockwise, or counterclockwise?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

That was awful.

It's always sad to watch the former greats as they refuse to accept the inevitable, that they can no longer fight as they once could.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Outstanding.

6. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

I wouldn’t say that.

He did a fairly good number with Felix Trinidad on PPV last year. I haven't checked but from memory I think it was around 500,000 buys. He also fought Calzaghe in what was a fairly big fight, also, last year.

Granted his victory over Jeff Lacy (whatever that means in 2009) back in August wasn’t a huge fight. However there was a Hopkins rematch, which probably won’t happen now, scheduled for early 2010. That would probably have been a big fight.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Thank God the ref stepped in.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Quote function. Learn it. Love it. :)

Edit: YOu fixed it. Or my screen went crazy.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

His career has been over since he fought Glen Johnson in 2004. I remember watching that fight and waiting for Jones to do something -- literally, something; he barely even threw any punches -- but all he did was get his ass kicked. Knocked out in the ninth round, which was probably eight rounds after the outcome was decided.
    The guy who once landed a 50-punch combination on an opponent, the guy who caved in Virgil Hill's ribs with one punch, was done then and there. It was sad. Like watching your dad get his ass kicked.

10. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Talking of Hopkins, he's fighting Enrique Ornelas tonight in Philadelphia.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When was this fight? The middle of the week?

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

It was quicker than BYH.

Draft saved Draft deleted