1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roy Halladay retires.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Dec 9, 2013.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I've been known to throw my vote away on third parties and underdogs anyway.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That should also be added to the file!

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Halladay's retirement presser was the most I have ever heard him speak.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Whatever will Kodos do now?

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Halladay was the best pitcher in the major for a stretch of his career. He was the guy a majority of people would have named at one point in the "If you could have one pitcher to start a single game with everything on the line, who would you choose?"

In my book, if at any point in your career you are considered by a majority of those in the know to be the best at what you do in your professional sport, you deserve the hall of fame when you retire. By that metric, he should be in.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think Halladay should be in, no doubt whatsoever.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I like Halladay but he doesn't stand a chance. David Cone was a better pitcher and he fell off the ballot after one year.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Read the last comment before seeing who wrote it.

Well done.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

First thought was "who signs one day contract to retire as a Blue Jay?" Joe Carter maybe, Rance Mulliniks?

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I am the biggest Roy Halladay fanboy looser alive. Absolutely loved covering him...just a total professional, dedicated to his craft. I even own a Halladay jersey.

Kind of interesting, too, how we didn't understand the true nature of his injury.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm glad he did it. I wish he had never left Toronto to begin with. Definitely Cooperstown-bound.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pretty similar career to Dave Steib, although he stayed better longer.

Draft saved Draft deleted