1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roy Halladay retires.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Dec 9, 2013.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Definitely a Hall of Famer. One of the 2 or 3 best pitcher in the game for almost a decade. Would have more wins if he hadn't spent so much time with a mediocre team in a tough division. I'd certainly put him in over Schilling.

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Halladay has done many things HOF pitchers do. He's 8th all-time in Cy Young Award shares. He's an eight time all-star. He's the active leader in pitching WAR, 1st in career winning percentage among actives, 4th in adjusted ERA+ career among actives, and 4th in career wins among actives. He led his league in pitching WAR 4 times, he was in the top 5 in ERA in his league 7 times, he was in the top 4 in wins 7 times, leading twice, he was in the top 4 in winning percentage 6 times, winning twice, he was in the top 4 in WHIP six times, winning once and second four times, he was in the top 5 in IP 9 times, leading 4 of them, and 7 times was in the top six in Ks. He is 26th all time in black ink, 56th in gray ink, and 53d in HOF standards, and the Hall has over 70 pitchers in it. Basically, if you bar the door to Halladay, no starting pitcher whose career was mostly in the recently ended decade can make it. Halladay has a good relationship with the press and has not been touched by scandal. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make it fairly quickly when he becomes eligible.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

One of my tests for whether a guy is a Hall of Famer is whether, especially as a road fan, you'd have gone out of your way to see him pitch, gone to a ballgame you wouldn't have otherwise because he was pitching that night. Certainly seems like he was one of those guys for a long stretch of time.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

With all due respect, that's a terrible way to judge a HOF candidacy.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If you look at their career numbers, they are very, very similar. I think voters will view then in the same light.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The six top 5 Cy Young finishes with two wins is what seals it for me.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Also, this is how I would rank these three pitchers:

1. Halladay
    2. Mussina
    3. Schilling

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You've got to consider that Deskslave lives across the Pond. If he's coming out to a game because of a specific player, that's a pretty big deal.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Saw him from six rows behind home plate for every one of his home openers here in Toronto. He was an artist.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There's also a reason I don't get a Hall of Fame vote.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to get some traction on my petition to remove all other voting privileges from you. I'll add this to the file.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Halladay is a first-ballot Hall of Famer. No question.
    What's lost in all of this is that and should be applauded is that he gave it a shot and said he couldn't do it any longer. He could've gotten another contract to pitch but decided against it. I wish more athletes did that.

Draft saved Draft deleted